Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysticmead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
malty aroma and BIG malt flavor. Enough hops to just balance it out.
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I have a recipe I plan to make for Irish Red in a while, let me know what you guys think...it is fairly simple, but sometimes the simplest recipes have the best results...we'll see.
10.5 Gallons

10.5# Pale
10.5# Maris Otter
1# Caramel 40
.25# Roasted Barley

2 oz fuggles at 60
2 oz E.K. Goldings at 15

2 Packs Wyest Irish Ale with Starter.

I always divide all my recipes in two, bottling 5 gallons and kegging 5.

Cheers

Awesome Recipe I'll be giving this a try soon, I've been making mead and cyser for over 20 years and just got into AG Brewing a few months ago got 5 batches under my belt and love it

Brewed this yesterday using spun honey from a peach orchard. I did biab with sparge and hit 1.060. You are right about the color, beautiful! It's got about three inches of Krausen on top and bubbling away right now.

I mashed for an hour at right about 150-151

CrystalShip said:
Brewed this yesterday using spun honey from a peach orchard. I did biab with sparge and hit 1.060. You are right about the color, beautiful! It's got about three inches of Krausen on top and bubbling away right now.

I mashed for an hour at right about 150-151

Congrats! You'll love how it turns out.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Home Brew Talk

My Irish Red is slightly different what would you say gives it the deep red in your recipe?

Dr1nkBeer said:
My Irish Red is slightly different what would you say gives it the deep red in your recipe?

I was just going to ask the same thing. I haven't brewed this yet, but its on the to do list. I usually use a couple ounces of roasted barley for redness and a little flavor in my reds. Also why did you choose wlp001 over wlp004?

I was just going to ask the same thing. I haven't brewed this yet, but its on the to do list. I usually use a couple ounces of roasted barley for redness and a little flavor in my reds. Also why did you choose wlp001 over wlp004?

the deep red is from caraaroma mainly and rounded out by the melanoiden malts. Both were chosen because of the color they'd impart as well as the malty aroma and malty flavors. the combination also adds the roasty/toffee flavors that fall into the style

I used wlp001 because it's a nice clean fermenting yeast. I didn't want to have unwanted flavors added that could take it out of the beer style. wlp004 can produce a little fruitiness, which is fine is a stout but not what I wanted in my red ale.

the BJCP style guidelines laid out what I needed to shoot for and the grains selected gave me the end product that pretty much nailed it. Here's a link to my score sheets which is a great way to get feedback and improve from that point forward. http://mysticmead.com/brewing/score_sheet/irish_red_score_sheet.pdf

and here's the BJCP guideline for the Irish Red Ale.

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

awesome... i think i may add them to my recipe and see how it goes... can you steep those grains? or would you add to the mash?

about to do my irish red... i havent used honey yet in any beer but wondering what honey you guys perfer.. how do you prepare it or "weight" it. This recipe says add at FO... is that cold? or is it warmed up?

probably a stupid question.

Dr1nkBeer said:
about to do my irish red... i havent used honey yet in any beer but wondering what honey you guys perfer.. how do you prepare it or "weight" it. This recipe says add at FO... is that cold? or is it warmed up?

Not a stupid question at all. If you add the honey at flame out, you'll be adding it at the end of the boil. This will raise the honey to pasturization temps, but will also destroy a lot of honey flavor, and is not necessary if its good clean honey. Mead (good mead) is never pasturized, and there is no problem with not pasturizing in that case. I would add the honey to your sanitized fermenter, and rack on top of that, swirling the wort as you add it to incorporate the honey

just cheap generic honey that you find in the supermarket. you won't really taste the honey as it's a small amount and there are a lot of other flavors going on. to make honey easier to pour I put the bottle of honey in a sink of hot water.. just before adding I spray the bottle with starsan

fantastic... advice. So heat it in the container as i would any LME... cool. Pour it into the Primary before racking my chilled wort...

Thanks. I have a technique to follow here...

Just kegged it yesterday... great tasting beer.. malty/roasty a bit much on the honey flavor... i'm thinking this will melow out with some time. The color was "ruby" red but had a tint.. I think i can blame that on my lame attempt at a fly sparge that took all of 15 minutes to complete. (a bit fast).

I will however play with this a bit in my new manifold based mash tun...

Thanks i'll enjoy this one well into the playoffs!

glad you like it... that's the nice thing about this recipe, even if you screw it up, it turns out to be a tasty beer. a friend got a horrible crush from a brew store near him. it didn't turn out red, but it did turn out to be a heck of a pale ale.

Just Made this up today as a Christmas present for my FIL. He is a fan of reds so I thought this would be right up his alley. I subbed the caraaroma for C120 and used WLP051 Cali 5 from a slurry at the LHBS, lookin' quite dark. Boy does have a nice dark red hue!

Keep you all posted,

Cheers!

This looks like a phenomenal recipe.....I just checked out your website...very cool.

This is a phenominal recipe :mug:

I fermented this baby at 66 F and for someone who likes the opposite (very dry and hoppy) this is a great brew. I made it for my FIL I only pray he likes it!

I think the addition of Melanoidin makes all the difference. (Note: I subbed out the caraaroma for C 120)

Cheers to the OP!

This is a phenominal recipe :mug:

I fermented this baby at 66 F and for someone who likes the opposite (very dry and hoppy) this is a great brew. I made it for my FIL I only pray he likes it!

I think the addition of Melanoidin makes all the difference. (Note: I subbed out the caraaroma for C 120)

Cheers to the OP!

Glad ya like it!!

Thinking about brewing this...

What would you think about using a bit of roasted malt, and maybe a different yeast?

I was just wondering what some roast would add. Would you say your recipe is a traditional Irish res or more like and amber?

Awesome thanks for the reply I'll be brewing this up in January sometime and tap it on st. Parick's day!

What would you say the honey adds wondering what to expect with that because I've never used it before?

Also what about carafoam and caraaroma? I've never seen these at my lhbs? Is melanoidin similiar?

Awesome thanks for the reply I'll be brewing this up in January sometime and tap it on st. Parick's day!

What would you say the honey adds wondering what to expect with that because I've never used it before?

Also what about carafoam and caraaroma? I've never seen these at my lhbs? Is melanoidin similiar?

carafoam is the same as carpils... caraaroma is like an extra malty camamel 120-130... melanoidin isn't as dark.. the combo of caraaroma and melanoidin gives a very deep red.. almost a ruby red. together they also give a malty aroma and malty favor which is key to the style. the honey honestly doesn't add much in the way of flavor or aroma as its a very small amount and it gets boiled. it does add fermentables to boost the ABV a small amount. it can be left out and you'll still have a great beer.

Mysticmead said:
that has become my go to yeast when I want to beer that is very yeast neutral.. nice and clean. not to mention cheaper than whitelabs

I couldn't agree more :)

I always have great and predictable results with it.

Back