What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! The pot picture looks like one of mine! Identical looking meat but the pot is no w worn out!!

Haha! Yep. Everytime I see one of your pics I think of our red Le Creuset, except yours gets put to better use!

Ours is a bit chipped on the bottom actually. Not my fault but I didn't say that! ;)

It's just an awesome pot. You can brown, sauté, then braise in it. That covers about half of my cooking! Lol. Mine is just flat worn out, and I use wood or bamboo utensils all the time.

Forgot to take pics. Got home from camping and had to do something with some of the Zucchini so I cooked up some ground pork and drained, then sauteed some garden carrots in olive oil and then added onion and green pepper and some cumin and other spices, a dash of flour to stick it all together better (probably didn't need) and some parmesan cheese. Some corn went in and some red pepper flakes at the end.

Meanwhile, dug out some Zucchini halves and grilled upside down for a short bit. Then filled them with the filling and put back on the grill right side up.

Also sliced up some tomatoes and some Mozzarella cheese and drizzled (more like poured) balsamic vinegar over it (I'll try making a reduction next time) and topped with some Chocolate Mint leaves. The Caprese Salad was well received by the wife. Not so much by the kid.

Stuffed Zucchini was a big hit.

After that I shredded more zucchini and made some chocolate zucchini bread. There was a hint of cinnamon in there and when I mixed it I wasn't sure, but it sure went well in the end. Just realized I forgot to bring the second loaf in to work to share. Heaven knows it's not going to last long at our house!

Forgot to take pics. Got home from camping and had to do something with some of the Zucchini so I cooked up some ground pork and drained, then sauteed some garden carrots in olive oil and then added onion and green pepper and some cumin and other spices, a dash of flour to stick it all together better (probably didn't need) and some parmesan cheese. Some corn went in and some red pepper flakes at the end.

Meanwhile, dug out some Zucchini halves and grilled upside down for a short bit. Then filled them with the filling and put back on the grill right side up.

Also sliced up some tomatoes and some Mozzarella cheese and drizzled (more like poured) balsamic vinegar over it (I'll try making a reduction next time) and topped with some Chocolate Mint leaves. The Caprese Salad was well received by the wife. Not so much by the kid.

Stuffed Zucchini was a big hit.

After that I shredded more zucchini and made some chocolate zucchini bread. There was a hint of cinnamon in there and when I mixed it I wasn't sure, but it sure went well in the end. Just realized I forgot to bring the second loaf in to work to share. Heaven knows it's not going to last long at our house!

This is what it is all about. Man that sounds good.

Thanks for that post! Love potatoes, love grits, love cheese and butter, what's not to love with your recipe?!! Lol

Definitely worth a go!
It's real easy to slap together too. I experimented with this sort of recipe for years. Then the other day, it just popped into my head. You'll like the flavor
& texture, I'm sure. :mug:

It's 81 degrees in the middle of Aug *gasp* last week it was 107...so thankful the rain. So anyhow I put some chicken on the grill last night and loved every second of it.

OK all you pasta makers - I was just gifted an older Atlas 150 pasta machine and two attachments - one makes spaghetti and a flat noodle with "ruffled" edges and the other makes linguine and angel hair. I need a tried 'n true pasta recipe with instructions please! :) Prefer one made with semolina but not essential.

Oh, and anybody got one of these machines with the ravioli attachment? I WANT that but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Amazon has it for about $40. Would love to hear if anyone has used one.

OK all you pasta makers - I was just gifted an older Atlas 150 pasta machine and two attachments - one makes spaghetti and a flat noodle with "ruffled" edges and the other makes linguine and angel hair. I need a tried 'n true pasta recipe with instructions please! :) Prefer one made with semolina but not essential.

Oh, and anybody got one of these machines with the ravioli attachment? I WANT that but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Amazon has it for about $40. Would love to hear if anyone has used one.

While I've made pasta a handful of times isn't semolina more for dried pastas?

I'm not a lot of help,I end up googling for a recipe each time:D

While I've made pasta a handful of times isn't semolina more for dried pastas?

I'm not a lot of help,I end up googling for a recipe each time:D

LOL, this is me too - but just hoping someone had a recipe they really liked.

Actually, I made a batch of 100% semolina dough last week to try out in my extruder attachment for the KitchenAid (didn't work worth a toot!) and stuck it in the freezer - took out and thawed and ran it through the sheeter/cutters today and it worked PERFECTLY. Let it dry on the countertop about an hour, then boiled about 4 minutes. It was very good!

I didn't realize you were you from the same parts so you completely understand!!

Yep. I'm in Rockwall. But I got home tonight and my new AC has quit! Huff. So it's only 78° which is great, but it's also 70% humidity in the house which my cigars are very happy with, but which I think just sucks! Lol. AC guy should be here before midnight. Huff

Pasta is pretty simple. It's just flour, egg, and a little salt. Knead it to make gluten. You can make it out of AP flour, bread flour, some flour and semolina, whatever. A high protein flower like bread flour will probably help with gluten formation. All of it's great when you cook fresh pasta. The extra I have I just hang and dry and it's still better than store bought dried even weeks later.

Pasta is pretty simple. It's just flour, egg, and a little salt. Knead it to make gluten. You can make it out of AP flour, bread flour, some flour and semolina, whatever. A high protein flower like bread flour will probably help with gluten formation. All of it's great when you cook fresh pasta. The extra I have I just hang and dry and it's still better than store bought dried even weeks later.

Gee, thanks. Now I have to make my own pasta from scratch! :mad:

I really want to do this tonight, but I have a wheel bearing and ball joints to replace on my nephew's Exploder. I suspect it will take all night or maybe longer due to Michigan Salt Roads.

Then again, he doesn't get out of work until 5:00, and it will take him a little bit to get here...

:ban:

I'ma try it with our oversprouted wheat flour one of these days. We sprout/dehydrate/grind hard red winter wheat for bread, and sometimes they get a little too sprouty before I catch them - that flour doesn't work particularly well with yeast, but it's good for other non-raised stuff - maybe I'll try it half and half with semolina and see how it goes!

I've been making pasta for a long time now, but I am just now starting to understand it. The best book I've read on the subject is Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri. He really does a great job getting the point across that making pasta has many, many variables and recipes are a great starting point, but there is a lot of 'feel' to it. I highly recommend this book. That being said, yeah, pasta is real easy and dose not need to be complicated!

Each pasta shape traditionally has different flours used. Machine rolled and cut pasta uses simple 00 flour and eggs. Extruded pasta will use semolina or durum. Most hand rolled pasta will use just flour and water. Some recipes you see will use oil and salt, some would say to never use oil or salt! These are some things that can make it infuriating when searching for recipes on line. So I ignore most of it at first. Just get some good flour, farm fresh eggs, a touch of EVOO, and a sprinkle of salt. Kneed them together for longer than you'd think. This really sets up the gluten. Then cover your dough with plastic wrap and keep out at room temp for at least an hour. That step is essential! Then start rolling out your dough! It's really that easy. Here is my recipe for machine rolled pasta:

7/8 cup 00 Caputo flour
7/8 cup AP flour
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
Splash of good EVOO
Pinch of salt

Keep some water near by and some flour near by. You might need both, you might need neither.

Good luck!

-Mike

And where do you get all those plantains?

My favorite is a NY Strip, off of the bone.

I get plantains in the ghetto. Have to travel a bit for them. Rather travel there than live there, again. My parents' fault. [emoji3]

Nice, that is cool. My mom gave me mine for my birthday. I've used it twice already. I started by watching the atlas video which is very good. Then America's Test Kitchen because they are the gold standard. From there I watched everybody. Appreciated the real Italian videos. Anyways the recipe for 1 pound of pasta is 2 cups flour and 3 eggs. That's it, that is the recipe. Flour is personal preference. I use a food processor rather than the well method. There are way more experienced pasta makers here, and I look forward to hearing what they say. One key tip is to fold the pasta over itself at the very end. Thus creating a loop. I then work the pasta through every level two or three times until I get to 6 or 7. I definitely am going to buy a flour shaker. I think I'm going to make some tonight so I'll show a few pics of the loop method.

Oops I see I was late. Sorry.

Nice, that is cool. My mom gave me mine for my birthday. I've used it twice already. I started by watching the atlas video which is very good. Then America's Test Kitchen because they are the gold standard. From there I watched everybody. Appreciated the real Italian videos. Anyways the recipe for 1 pound of pasta is 2 cups flour and 3 eggs. That's it, that is the recipe. Flour is personal preference. I use a food processor rather than the well method. There are way more experienced pasta makers here, and I look forward to hearing what they say. One key tip is to fold the pasta over itself at the very end. Thus creating a loop. I then work the pasta through every level two or three times until I get to 6 or 7. I definitely am going to buy a flour shaker. I think I'm going to make some tonight so I'll show a few pics of the loop method.

Oops I see I was late. Sorry.

Oh no, you're not late - thank you for the recipe, and please post all the pictures you want! I can use all the help I can get right now. Although what I made turned out fine, I'd like to try some different stuff with it.

Also - this one has been "abused" at some point and maybe exposed to moisture (we live where it's often foggy a good deal of the summer) and the spaghetti rollers have rust in them, as well as rust in the holes where the crank fits. Those aren't so bad, but man I'd love to get the rust out of the roller itself? I ran a "donor" piece of pasta through all the rollers to clear them of anything that was left in the cutters from the former owners, but how 'bout dat rust? Anybody got a good solution or is it doomed?

Oh no, you're not late - thank you for the recipe, and please post all the pictures you want! I can use all the help I can get right now. Although what I made turned out fine, I'd like to try some different stuff with it.

Also - this one has been "abused" at some point and maybe exposed to moisture (we live where it's often foggy a good deal of the summer) and the spaghetti rollers have rust in them, as well as rust in the holes where the crank fits. Those aren't so bad, but man I'd love to get the rust out of the roller itself? I ran a "donor" piece of pasta through all the rollers to clear them of anything that was left in the cutters from the former owners, but how 'bout dat rust? Anybody got a good solution or is it doomed?

Lots of options for rust. Sandblast, wire brushing, etc.

I've used Molasses and water to soak rusty car parts in. It really works well. Just use 1 part molasses and 4-10 parts water (It's not an exact science.) For car parts I've gone down to the feed store and bought 5 gallons of feed molasses.

Just understand that it's not a pleasant smell, and it's only gets worse after a few days.

Much worse.

Lots of options for rust. Sandblast, wire brushing, etc.

I've used Molasses and water to soak rusty car parts in. It really works well. Just use 1 part molasses and 4-10 parts water (It's not an exact science.) For car parts I've gone down to the feed store and bought 5 gallons of feed molasses.

Just understand that it's not a pleasant smell, and it's only gets worse after a few days.

Much worse.

Wow, that's really interesting! It's at least food-grade! :)

^^ooh what are you up to, im excited to see. So pasta, here ya go. Rolled multiple times through level 0-6 with very quick speed. You can see as it gets thinner. Most directions call for cutting dough in 4ths or 5ths. As you can see i am working half the recipe at a time. No point in standing there forever I still go through each level 2 to 3 times. I use arm to pivot. Then i cut it to length with sheers.

View attachment 1471665280047.jpg

View attachment 1471665300158.jpg

View attachment 1471665328516.jpg

View attachment 1471665345824.jpg

View attachment 1471665382822.jpg

^^ooh what are you up to, im excited to see. So pasta, here ya go. Rolled multiple times 0-6 with very quick speed. You can see as it gets thinner. Most directions call for cutting in 4ths or 5ths. As you can see i am working half the recipe at a time. But still go through each level 2 to 3 times. I use arm to pivot. Then i cut it to length with sheers.

Looks good!

^^ooh what are you up to, im excited to see. So pasta, here ya go. Rolled multiple times through level 0-6 with very quick speed. You can see as it gets thinner. Most directions call for cutting dough in 4ths or 5ths. As you can see i am working half the recipe at a time. No point in standing there forever I still go through each level 2 to 3 times. I use arm to pivot. Then i cut it to length with sheers.

Oh very cool! And I love your kitchen!

In a stroke of fortuitousness (is that a word?), when I went up to my Dad's on Wednesday, he had some items for me to pick up and amongst them was a big Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking cookbook! :rockin: It's a lovely big hardbound book with lots of great pictures and great recipes. Can't wait to try some out.

Travis, whatever ARE you making there, friend?

Back