Turkey Breast Smoked Over Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basementbrewbrad

Reaction score
I made a delicious turkey breast today that I smoked on a Webber charcoal grill. I decided I wanted to use my first batch of homebrew, which is a blonde ale, to cook with.

Placed charcoals on one side of the grill and heated it up then put the turkey breast on the opposite side and place a drip pan below. Make sure the vent on the grill top is on the side of the bird so the flavor comes through to the bird. Once the bird reached 125 degrees(for the last hour or so) I added 12 ounces of the beer into the drip pan and cooked the breast until it was 165 degrees.

Cant wait to find an excuse for the three batches I currently have fermenting to be used while cooking/drink while i cook.:mug:

100_2332.jpg

100_2333.jpg

100_2334.jpg

100_2335.jpg

So, did the beer actually penetrate the bird? I've done beer butt chickens and never saw what the hoop la was about. However, I've brined the yardbirds in a variety of things which did make a difference.

What kind of flavor difference did you notice? Was it a transfer of hops or ??? I don't usually use my Weber any more.. rather my smoker.. which I don't typically set at a temp higher than 210-225*. Enough to 'boil' the beer.. but, my smoker cooks so moist.. I'd have liquid dripping all over the place.. :) It's an electric Cookshack.

I cooked two the exact same way minus the beer on Thanksgiving and there was most definitely a difference. It was juicier than the Thanksgiving Turkey breasts. As far as the beer adding flavor it was minimal, mostly just moisture. I would imagine a spiced beer would add more flavor.

Back