Hard Cider Turkey Gravy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found this recipe in this month's Bon Apetit:

10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter, divided
Neck and giblets from 1 turkey (optional)
8 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
4 sprigs rosemary
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups hard cider
¼–½ cup roast turkey pan drippings (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey neck and giblets, if using, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and browned bits form on bottom of saucepan, 5–8 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add broth and bring to a broil; reduce heat and simmer until reduced to about 2½ cups, 20–25 minutes. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring cup or medium bowl; discard solids. Cover and keep stock warm.
Heat remaining 9 Tbsp. butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is a deep golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Gradually whisk in warm stock. Add cider and pan drippings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld and stock is thickened, 25–30 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

Well, I just happened to have kegged 4 gallons of hard cider not long ago, and this looks perfect!!!!!!!!

I have some rosemary in the window, so I'm boiling that broth now.

How did it turn out??

I made gravy with just the juice from a roasted turkey this weekend. I made a roux (Flour and oil mixture as the base for a gravy/soup thickener) it the gravy turned out nice.

I'm curious to know if the gravy would have a slight tartness/fruitiness from the cider.

How did it turn out??

I made gravy with just the juice from a roasted turkey this weekend. I made a roux (Flour and oil mixture as the base for a gravy/soup thickener) it the gravy turned out nice.

I'm curious to know if the gravy would have a slight tartness/fruitiness from the cider.

Bob loved it. I didn't. I do think that it was a bit tart, and I probably won't make it again. I used less cider than the recipe called for, and still thought it was too much.

My cider is pretty dry, and it probably would be better with a sweeter cider. Mine is at 1.010ish.

Well, I like the look of the recipe and i wonder if the cider could be substituted for some kind of beer. I've never put spices in my gravy, just juice, cornstarch/flour and maybe some salt and pepper.

Well, I like the look of the recipe and i wonder if the cider could be substituted for some kind of beer. I've never put spices in my gravy, just juice, cornstarch/flour and maybe some salt and pepper.

The garlic and rosemary was nice- it wasn't overdone at all, and I'm definitely going to do that again. I boiled some pan drippings with the broth and spices, and reduced it. That part of the gravy was great. The roux was fairly browned (but not too much!) and it was the richest gravy I've ever made.

So let me ask, did you just press the garlic and then discard it later with the rest of the solids? I've only ever minced garlic and left it in. I'm not sure how that would work in a gravy.

I've been making turkey gravy with aged apfelwein for years. It was a recipe that called for white wine, and when I didn't have any, I used apfelwein. I actually like it better than using white wine. Most whites are too acidic for me, and a well aged apfelwein has a nice mild citrusy wine flavor that goes well with gravy.

So let me ask, did you just press the garlic and then discard it later with the rest of the solids? I've only ever minced garlic and left it in. I'm not sure how that would work in a gravy.

No, I left the garlic peeled and whole and left the sprigs of rosemary whole as well, and just strained the broth as I put it into the roux.

I've been making turkey gravy with aged apfelwein for years. It was a recipe that called for white wine, and when I didn't have any, I used apfelwein. I actually like it better than using white wine. Most whites are too acidic for me, and a well aged apfelwein has a nice mild citrusy wine flavor that goes well with gravy.

Great idea! I use white wine all the time, but never thought of cider/apfelwein before. Duh!

Latest posts

Back