Why RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In designing my brew rig, I have a question for the RIMS user out there. Since I really only do single infusion mashes, and have little issue with temperature drop, Why RIMS? What do you get from your system that makes it worth the extra complexity? Is it the challenge of the build? Or does it really make your brew day better/easier?

The advantage of RIMS over the cooler and kettle method is speed of step mashing, preventing temp stratification in the mash and reducing voraluf times. While a direct fired RIMS can heat to desired steps faster than a HERMS, they are generally a little harder to regulate temp. Constant recirculation means that the voraluf is done during mash while maintaining the same temp throughout the mash (same with a HERMS). As for better/easier, no just more consistant through the process for more consistant beers.

I'm doing a ghetto rims system in hopes it will knock close to an hour off my brew day. Plus who doesn't want to watch wort recirculating for an hour?:)

I built a RHIMS setup so that I could automate it easier. With the RHIMS, a PID (Proportional, Integral Device) and a Solid-State relay, I can set my desired mash temp and walk away (usually to the air-conditioning, it gets hot and muggy here). When I was trying to design a HERMS to do the same thing I had trouble figuring out how to reglulate the flow of the mash through or bypassing the Heat Exchanger to maintain a given temp.

All that said, I figured there were three options to make a HERMS system work properly.
  • Switch the pump on and off to regulate the temperature
  • Use solenoid valves to bypass the exchanger and regulate the temperature
  • Maintain the desired temperature of your mash in the heat exchanger (usually the HLT)

Each of these have issues and I didn't find any of them desirable, so I built a RHIMS instead. :mug:

Solenoid valves are expensive and add unnecessary complexity to the system, in my opinion. I bought some solenoid valves and found them to be leaky and unreliable at the pressure we are recirculating mash at. The ones I bought are pretty standard Red Hat, or Red Dot or something, units that seemed to be the desired valves with all brass fittings and 1/2" NPT ports, so I don't know. Maybe they are adjustable and would seal properly if I messed with them. :eek:

Your mileage may vary.

In designing my brew rig, I have a question for the RIMS user out there. Since I really only do single infusion mashes, and have little issue with temperature drop, Why RIMS? What do you get from your system that makes it worth the extra complexity? Is it the challenge of the build? Or does it really make your brew day better/easier?

I think it really makes it easier, at least I find it easier. It's not really complex either. It you wanted to try it, everything is layed out for you in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Plus who doesn't want to watch wort recirculating for an hour?:)

That is what I was thinking

+1 RIMS for Dummies

Sawdusts build was pretty easy and my last brew session it finally ran smoothly. I figured out the correct temp I needed to set the RIMS for (+3F) to keep my mash at the right temps. I also added a SS sparge ring that lets me keep the cover on the Keggle without having a hose sticking out the top. I don't have enough experience with it to say that it improves my beer but I did overshoot my efficiency this time on a beer I brewed previously without the RIMS. ++ it looks impressive!

I think it really makes it easier, at least I find it easier. It's not really complex either. It you wanted to try it, everything is layed out for you in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Yeah, I've read your writeup (much appreciated), and am leaning heavily in that direction. One more question though: Is hot side aeration a concern in returning the wort to the MLT? Do you pipe the return below the surface of the mash? If so do you need a Manifold to prevent channeling?

Yeah, I've read your writeup (much appreciated), and am leaning heavily in that direction. One more question though: Is hot side aeration a concern in returning the wort to the MLT? Do you pipe the return below the surface of the mash? If so do you need a Manifold to prevent channeling?

Some people use a sparge ring type thing which you can keep below the level of the liquid.

Another option is to use a length of hose and whirlpool the wort gently in a 1-2 inch liquid layer on top of the mash (see Brew Magic).

Back