Stainless steel or copper for coil cooler in an ice box for beer cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burakkilic

Reaction score
Hi;

I have have a faucet on my kitchen countertop. I saw that some people use small fridges to cool beer kegs. But some guys use ice boxes like that:

jockey-box-inside.jpg

I want to do it myself. Is it better to use copper coil or stainless steel coil for it?

SS has better temp dispersion in the entire coil verses the copper (IMO). Seems to hold temps cooler once the ice is going away. The copper ones that I have used/made in the past have been a pain to clean. Also, there could be issues with two different metals being connected together for long periods without disassembling and scrubbing. I believe its some type of corrosion or salt formation or something?? (Somebody else out there might know the scientific name for it?) Always safer...and nicer looking...to go full SS....IMHO.

The CO2 in the beer will start to eat away at the copper and affect the beer. Also, not good for you.

SS has better temp dispersion in the entire coil verses the copper (IMO). Seems to hold temps cooler once the ice is going away. The copper ones that I have used/made in the past have been a pain to clean. Also, there could be issues with two different metals being connected together for long periods without disassembling and scrubbing. I believe its some type of corrosion or salt formation or something?? (Somebody else out there might know the scientific name for it?) Always safer...and nicer looking...to go full SS....IMHO.

A battery. Two dissimilar metals with a solution in between.

Back