Source for sheet stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for sheet stainless? I am looking for 2' x 3' sheets 22ga. or slightly thicker. The 2' dimension is the only critical one. If I could get them custom cut and better yet, cut and bent into a "U" channel without the price going through the roof, that would be great. I can cut them and have access to a pretty nice brake so I guess a good price on the stock is all I really need.

Thanks for any help.

+1 to finding a local source. My local sheet supplier sells their end cuts for 1/2 the price per sq ft compared to virgin stock.

Thanks guys,

I haven't had much luck finding anyone around here working with sheet stainless. I ordered one sheet from online metals. At least they are relatively close and right on the main UPS trail so it should be here tomorrow.

I just picked up a piece locally from a fab shop today. 16x25 7 gauge. Best part is the price. "Eh I'll get you next time". if you tell people you are using it brew beer the cost tends to plummet or maybe it was just the nice guy Yooper discount.

I just picked up a piece locally from a fab shop today. 16x25 7 gauge. Best part is the price. "Eh I'll get you next time". if you tell people you are using it brew beer the cost tends to plummet or maybe it was just the nice guy Yooper discount.

That is a good deal. Exactly what I would like to find. I really only need 9" x 24" pieces. I am sure there is a bunch of scrap laying in some shop somewhere that would be perfect. There IS a "yooper" discount you know. I give electrical odds-and-ends away all the time for those that catch me at the shop.

That is a good deal. Exactly what I would like to find. I really only need 9" x 24" pieces. I am sure there is a bunch of scrap laying in some shop somewhere that would be perfect. There IS a "yooper" discount you know. I give electrical odds-and-ends away all the time for those that catch me at the shop.

Yep sure is, the other thing about the UP most people don't get is there is only about 3 degrees of separation for anyone up here. if you don't know the person yourself pretty sure somebody you know does. any chance you are related to Jon the State Inspector?

Yes. He's a second cousin or something. I just waived to him today. He was pushing his yooper scooper in front of his house. Small world...at least small UP;)

I bought some sheet from a local guy that specialized in vent hoods for the restaurant industry.

Yes. He's a second cousin or something. I just waived to him today. He was pushing his yooper scooper in front of his house. Small world...at least small UP;)

Ha small world indeed. I just met him this week. (I'm a butcher on a small family grocery store). if you get down to Iron Mt I got a hell of a beer selection.

Ha small world indeed. I just met him this week. (I'm a butcher on a small family grocery store). if you get down to Iron Mt I got a hell of a beer selection.

Cool! Meat and beer are a few of my favorite things. I will stop in for a visit. How do I find you?

I bent up the prototypes this morning. Any guess what they are?

thumb2_img_20150228_152114_220-65109.jpg

pM'ed you the store name. If I had to guess I would think maybe cheese molds?

pM'ed you the store name. If I had to guess I would think maybe cheese molds?

Got it. Hope to look you up soon.

Close. They are soap molds. My wife has a small soap business just getting going. She poured a batch in them this morning and said they worked great so far. I hope they un-mold easily that is my only concern. They can be twisted slightly by holding the ends. I hope that is enough to pop the bar out. If not, maybe a short cool down outside or in the freezer will help.

Outside should work other than maybe in July plenty cold out otherwise. They are almost identical to some I made to cover the ends of a wall I built for a restaurant, only difference was the hems were flipped to the inside.

Yeah, once I had them bent, I came up with a buch of uses. Like lifetime guaranteed rain gutters or the drip tray that I never got around to putting on my kegger;)

Yeah, once I had them bent, I came up with a buch of uses. Like lifetime guaranteed rain gutters or the drip tray that I never got around to putting on my kegger;)

You too huh? I see the prices for $3 worth of stainless bent into a rectangular box and can't stomach it. I still use bar towels.

You too huh? I see the prices for $3 worth of stainless bent into a rectangular box and can't stomach it. I still use bar towels.

I know right? My kegger is in my "shop" which is very rustic (you might even say dumpy). So the taps just drip on the concrete floor. I scrub the drip spot once in a while with some water from a brew session and that works fine. I had a mouse in here a while back that really seemed to appreciate the drips and kept it pretty clean. He died a fat alcoholic mouse probably in a nearby gutter and to my dismay no one has taken up his position;)

Well, as I suspected, the molds are not un-molding as well as I had hoped. My wife is a bit impatient and I think she rushed this batch. I would like to let one cure a bit longer. For this first batch, we are trying the freezer method which worked for the small mold already. The soap is not sticking to the mold as I can twist it and it releases from the sides. It is more of a suction issue which I think more curing or a soak in the freezer will cure.

Back