Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Slot Keg for 15" FB?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
JohnTheBrewist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Slot Keg for 15" FB?

I'm in the process of converting some new kegs for my new all-electric system. I'm planning to make these inverted so I can drain out the bottom by attaching a 2" tri-clamp fitting.

I want to keep as much of the pellet hops and break material out of my plate chiller as possible. So, for the BK I intend to try 2 sheets of perforated metal riveted together as a 15" round false bottom. The bottom sheet will be 14ga SS, 1/8" holes, 40% open area, and the top will be 22ga SS, 1/16" holes, 40% open area. I'm having to go with 2 sheets since you can't buy heavy enough steel with small enough holes. I have screen gaskets at the 2" outlet to catch debris that might get by. I'll be using a heatstick on top of the FB, which I'll remove when I start recirculating through the chiller.

So now to my question. I know BobbyM and some others have slotted their kegs to slide in the FB whole (without hinges), but Bobby's thread is missing the pictures. He said something about the keg deforming when he did this. Can anyone provide some more info on doing this? Has anyone done it without the keg deforming? Any other thoughts?

Also, I'm considering the same 1/8" holed sheet for my MLT (since I'll have some left over. I know Jaybird and probably most others use 3/32" holes. Has anyone used 1/8" holes with good results?

Thanks

BH

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I used the 1/8" hole on my MLT as I found one cheap. Never really liked it as it took longer to get clear wort. Then I solved the problem by using a Voile BIAB bag and now the hole size does not matter, clean up is much faster as well. $5 or less in material and put the wife to work on the sewing machine!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For my MLT I made a two piece FB so that it would fit the keg perfectly without the need for slots. It's more stable and sturdy than most of the other FB's I've seen. Not sure if it would work for you depending on how much space you want between the two, but it's a pretty simple design.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You know, its easy to get so caught up in building equipment that you overlook the simplest solution. I hadn't even thought about the Voile bag, but that does make things alot simpler. I think I'll still use the 1/8th holed sheet to keep the bag off the bottom and allow better flow in the MLT. But I can easily put a hinge on it then and not worry about how perfect the sides meet up.

You also got me thinking differently about the BK. Maybe I'd be better off using my sawzall to cut the entire bottom out, then I wouldn't have to worry about cutting slots. The BK doesn't need a lid, so there's no need to cut the hole smaller. Thoughts?

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A smaller opening in your BK will give you less boil-off. But that's easy to remedy with a large opening by just adding more water. I can't think of any other down sides. Then again, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet...

Quick Reply