Single Tier Brew Stands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it make sense to use 3/4" OD piping so the inner diameter of my gas pipe is 1/2"? I really want to get this right on the first shot.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gas lines, like most plumbing, are rated based on the ID until you get to 16" diameter, then it becomes nominal. So 1/2" black pipe has a 1/2 inside diameter.

Gas lines, like most plumbing, are rated based on the ID until you get to 16" diameter, then it becomes nominal. So 1/2" black pipe has a 1/2 inside diameter.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393653452.561989.jpg
I went to order my stainless fittings and this disclaimer confused me. Couldn't figure whether to order 1/2" or 3/4"..

Would it make sense to use 3/4" OD piping so the inner diameter of my gas pipe is 1/2"? I really want to get this right on the first shot.. lol

I don't seem to have any issues with the 1/2" gas pipe so far. To plumb the burners to the gas manifold I've used both the 5/8 and 1/2 OD flexible gas tubing from lowes, honestly I can't much difference between the two, I did have to go to Ace and buy a few fittings to adapt the gas line to the 3/8 flare pipe fitting on the end if the orifice.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well it's been awhile since I updated this thread (we had another baby). I am modifying the stand a bit with 6 pieces of 1"x2" rectangular stainless steel tubing. I ordered from DiscountSteel.com and they were the cheapest by far. Now I'll be able to use any size kettles on my stand, and the burner mounts will be welded to the 1"x2" tubing (I will post a picture of my modification later). I decided not to use gussets so the burner exhaust can vent towards the back of the stand. Now it's time to get this thing back to the welders!

Congratulations on the baby!

Here is the Ale and Metal TV brew stand build that Im in the middle of finishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since today was my first nice day off I decided to take Brutus out of the garage and clean it up so I can finally sand it down. What a pain, stock stainless is filthy and oily. Took 3 hours, partly because it's 76" x 25" x 28" lol.. and I didn't even sand it yet.. I need a beer! Still need to get it to the welders to have the burner mounts attached. I want to sand it first.. Cheers and have a nice weekend ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397344615.991158.jpg

Okay, but I wasn't suggesting DIY apart from draw it yourself. This is mine that I had built for me after I sold my 3-tier. Obviously, I had to source the various components separately (I had most of them already).

IMAG0367_BURST002_1_1.jpg

As for Brew Steel, have you tried messaging the owner, Onehoppyguy, on HBT?

I'm looking at welding together some very similar in the very near future. How do the casters do? I was wondering if I could apply a larger set of them to make moving it easier.

It moves around really well. The casters and caster inserts were really cheap but the quality wasn't. I put prices and websites earlier in this build. Let me know if you can't find it. My stand is huge and it glides around easily on the ball bearing casters

Duffy & Sons Brewing DuffyBeer.com

I'm looking at welding together some very similar in the very near future. How do the casters do? I was wondering if I could apply a larger set of them to make moving it easier.

It moves around smooth surfaces fine. All four swivel. So pulling it out from the storage spot along the wall to wherever I want it in the garage is easy. Now, get it on that cobblestone driveway and it makes a racket. Get it on the grass, and it doesn't move too well. Anything other than a smooth surface and a pair of pneumatic tires would be your best bet, if anything.

Holy smokes that is a LOT of volume! Looks great!

Thanks dude, it goes back to the welder on Saturday. Has anybody used the brewers hardware bg14 mounts?

Did you have them welded or did you use self tapping screws? Thanks :D

Thanks dude, it goes back to the welder on Saturday. Has anybody used the brewers hardware bg14 mounts?

Did you have them welded or did you use self tapping screws? Thanks :D

I use them and like them a lot. I welded nuts into my stand and screwed them in, but self taping would work.

It's been a long time since I've updated this thread.. Here is a picture of the stand re-welded with the new kettle supports.

Brewers hardware burner mounts going on next. Anyone else not understand the design? I understand the top being slotted for air circulation but why is the bottom circle cut? Lol

More to come soon..

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421448806.972224.jpg

Not following you. Bottom circle cut? The 3 vertical holes are for mounting the burner (adjustable obviously) and the top/back half can be opened up to allow for gas to vent out. While I like the idea and design behind it, it made brewing outside a total pain. If I were to build another I would not vent out the back to that extent if you plan to brew outside. Makes for a handy place to light the burners however.

Their pics on the website are pretty clear as to the design on the shield.

smugshot_7526109-L.jpg

Back