Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Show us your upright refrigerator "Kegerator" conversion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's mine, with secondary regulators for each keg. Co2 tank lives outside the fridge (as it should).
Those are pin lock kegs in the pic, but ball locks do fit as well.
I also had my doors pinned together but removed the pin after the first time I needed the door open for a while to clean the lines. My wife stores food in the freezer and I didn't want it all melting anymore. Plus, since I never use any taller tap handles, I don't have any problem with hitting them if I only open the freezer.

If you want better pics, let me know. These were taken some time ago on a crappy phone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
JSGT09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just picked up a smaller upright fridge that I want to do this to. Right now I'm just using the picnic taps. I see some of you have taken the racks and such off the inside of the door and filled it with insulation, and others have just left that portion in place. What is the best option here?

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
krazydave
Recipes 

I was originally planning to re-skin the inside of the door. But to be honest, those shelves have been invaluable for storing bottles, yeast, hops, etc.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSawks View Post
Craig, I know you have already seen mine but figured I show it off anyway.

Very nice! Great idea!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave View Post
Here's mine, with secondary regulators for each keg. Co2 tank lives outside the fridge (as it should).
Those are pin lock kegs in the pic, but ball locks do fit as well.
I also had my doors pinned together but removed the pin after the first time I needed the door open for a while to clean the lines. My wife stores food in the freezer and I didn't want it all melting anymore. Plus, since I never use any taller tap handles, I don't have any problem with hitting them if I only open the freezer.

If you want better pics, let me know. These were taken some time ago on a crappy phone.
Yeah, show some better pix of the regulators and what you used as a bulkhead for the gas.

I will probably just run with short tap handles too... but like the idea of the doors being pinned together.

Also... If you can take a look at the info tag on the fridge to see what volume it is. ex. mine is a 16.5 cu. ft. fridge.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
krazydave
Recipes 

I didn't really use a bulkhead for the gas, just drilled a hole and ran the hose through. Then I sealed that up with some silicone. On the inside of the fridge I have a tee right where the gas comes in (right rear). That sends one line to each set of secondaries. The red line in the pic is the higher pressure line coming off the tank reg, then I ran clear from the secondaries to the kegs.
I'll try to get some better pics and get the size of the fridge tonight when I get home from work.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
krazydave
Recipes 

Here's some more pics. Still phone pics, but if you need more detail, let me know.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave View Post
I was originally planning to re-skin the inside of the door. But to be honest, those shelves have been invaluable for storing bottles, yeast, hops, etc.
Another reason I'm thinking about just leaving the shelves and such, they will prove nice for storing small stuff.

I've also heard of issues about drilling through the sidewall due to possibly hitting refrigerant lines. Is this true?

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGT09 View Post
Another reason I'm thinking about just leaving the shelves and such, they will prove nice for storing small stuff.

I've also heard of issues about drilling through the sidewall due to possibly hitting refrigerant lines. Is this true?
This is one of the reasons I want to upgrade to an upright refrigerator from my kegerator. I have enough room for 2 corny kegs and I would love to have some extra storage for a few select bottles and possibly 1 or 2 more kegs.

I'm also curious about the drilling part and the refrigerant lines.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGT09 View Post

Depends on the fridge. On mine the coolant lines run up the back on the right side to the freezer. There are none on the sides of the lower portion.
I was able to tell that by looking at the cooling system diagram in the manual.
It doesn't mean all are like that though, obviously.

Quick Reply