Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > RIMS circulation temp overshoot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
kevin0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If you want to control overshoot, it may help to lower to proportional gain on your controller (the 'P' in 'PID'). Increasing the 'I' gain should get help rid of steady state error.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a tunning issue to me. The probe is in the correct spot then. If it was in the mash you introduce a lot of lag to the response time, hence jmer's method.

A forward feed from the mash tun would allow you to reach your temp a little faster but, I haven't seen any economy priced PID controllers that support that.

If you're fluctuating 2 deg F at the RIMS tube by the time it reaches the mash it will average out rather quickly.

Oh, I bet I know what you're problem is! There is a time variable that you need to set some times. This is how long the output should stay on at a minimum. I think Auber PIDs default to 2 seconds. If you set that variable to 0 it goes down to 0.5 seconds minimum on time. This is for things like compressors so you dont short cycle the hell out of them. If you have a different PID read the manual and look for a minimum on time variable.

What happens is the overshoots but cant turn the element off because it hasnt been on long enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply