The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Propane + RIMS build (long term)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Propane + RIMS build (Update 5/11)

I am starting to design/purchase parts for a RIMS build using propane for the HLT and BK with a 5500 element in the HEX. I know how the systems work, but this is a lesson in planning so far. I thought I knew how to plumb the system but I have all but tied my brain in a knot trying to figure it out.

Anyways, I am planning it in sketchup. I linked my diagram so far down below in hopes that anyone could help me with the plumbing. I may have some help coming from the brewhardware guys but want any and all help I can get.

As of now I have kegs figured out and my pumps are in hand (Chuggers). Everything else is to come shortly. I hope.

RIMS 2 by HopticalIllusionist, on Flickr

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

right off the bat, I notice you will need to rotate that pump head at least 90 degs. To avoid air pockets, the outlet either needs to face to the right or straight up.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I thought the center inlet pumps got rid of that issue, but it makes sense looking at it. I've looked at every RIMS system I can find and while I understand the plumbing, the valves are what keep me guessing. I need to just sit down and draw a hand drawn diagram rather than fooling with 3d. Maybe I can get that done today. Updates to come!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I talked with one of the guys from brewershardware about plumbing and routing of things and we have come up with a better way to do things. I am going to use 3-way SS valves, the two pumps, and a vertical hex. Even though the MT drains into a horizontal tube, it should be a non-issue as the water level will be way high and it should gravity feed to the pump.

rims by HopticalIllusionist, on Flickr

Edit: This is obviously not complete and still needs the BK plumbing and such.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was told when I bought my plate chiller a few years back that the outlets need to face up for maximum efficiency. Can you point me to a link for three way stainless steel valves? Sounds interesting. I am thinking about putting in a RIMS in the near future, but was planning on using existing parts...might change my mind though.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

interesting. keep posting pics, im interested how it turns out

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
I was told when I bought my plate chiller a few years back that the outlets need to face up for maximum efficiency. Can you point me to a link for three way stainless steel valves? Sounds interesting. I am thinking about putting in a RIMS in the near future, but was planning on using existing parts...might change my mind though.
Amazon has quite a few options. Not sure the exact ones I am going with, but they are ~40 a piece. You may also be correct about the chiller, I will research that. I still don't know the exact one I want but I hope to get a 40 plate. It will be easy enough to build a bracket/mount for it to mount correctly.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm trying to figure out my RIMS system, so if anyone would be ever so kind to help me figure out what I need that would be awesome. I'm looking for 1.5 Tri -> 1/2" barb in some fashion I believe. I am using braided silicone hoses, so I need to run the 1/2" hosing to the inlet and outlet of my rims tube (1.5 tube). Do I need to go 1.5 Tri -> 1/2 NPT -> 1/2 barb?

I think I can manage the plumbing fittings outside of this. I just don't know the availability for that style fitting.

My main issue is the electrical and what to run. I know I need a SSR compatible PID from Auber, but which temp sensor and such should I use? I've read a little about the RTD deal, but know nothing of it. The RIMS for Dummies thread is out of hand now, it's far too long to read through and decipher the conversations.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks good so far man! I can't wait to see how things progress

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
I'm trying to figure out my RIMS system, so if anyone would be ever so kind to help me figure out what I need that would be awesome. I'm looking for 1.5 Tri -> 1/2" barb in some fashion I believe. I am using braided silicone hoses, so I need to run the 1/2" hosing to the inlet and outlet of my rims tube (1.5 tube). Do I need to go 1.5 Tri -> 1/2 NPT -> 1/2 barb?
http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-T...Hose-Barb.html

You can also do what you described (with 1/2 NPT) if you want greater flexibility. But hose barb-triclamp fittings are available.

Quick Reply