problem with keggle drilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to install weldless bulkheads in my 2 keggles. Im using bulkheads from bargainfittings and following their directions along with the tips i have read here. Started by marking with a punch and then drilling a small pilot hole. I am using vegetable oil for lubricant and a step bit from harbor freight. Using slow speed, high pressure, everything was fine til about halfway up the bit. Bit stalled and even with keeping it oiled I cant get it to drill any farther. In my efforts I heated it all up pretty good. Think i might have done some damage to my drill even as is started slipping quite a bit.

Right now i have a hole about halfway to the 13/16 I need. I do have a dremel but currently nothing in my arsenal of bits for it that are made for attacking ss. I have read about the dangers of actually hardening the ss, hopefully I havent done that. I really think the bit might be shot as well.

Im open for suggestions on ways to proceed. My thoughts is to get another bit, (maybe a better quality one) and maybe step up to a 1/2" drill for more torque.

Mike in Duluth

Trying to install weldless bulkheads in my 2 keggles. Im using bulkheads from bargainfittings and following their directions along with the tips i have read here. Started by marking with a punch and then drilling a small pilot hole. I am using vegetable oil for lubricant and a step bit from harbor freight. Using slow speed, high pressure, everything was fine til about halfway up the bit. Bit stalled and even with keeping it oiled I cant get it to drill any farther. In my efforts I heated it all up pretty good. Think i might have done some damage to my drill even as is started slipping quite a bit.

Right now i have a hole about halfway to the 13/16 I need. I do have a dremel but currently nothing in my arsenal of bits for it that are made for attacking ss. I have read about the dangers of actually hardening the ss, hopefully I havent done that. I really think the bit might be shot as well.

Im open for suggestions on ways to proceed. My thoughts is to get another bit, (maybe a better quality one) and maybe step up to a 1/2" drill for more torque.

Mike in Duluth

I would suggest a better quality bit....and using some cutting oil....even 3-in-1 oil is better than cooking oil. It sounds like your bit is too dull now.

(Machinist puts down his beer) SHARP GOOD BITS, and if there is a noticeable heat build up, ie you can't touch it, your just making life harder. Oil, or find spray lubricant for milling machines and load up an old spray bottle and have some one keep up with the spray or squirt while you drill. I deal with 1/2" SS plate all day, it's a b!tch to work with.

I have cut multiple holes with the harbor freight bits. Heat is your enemy with stainless. I would file out a bit of the metal and then go at it again. Every step or two, or every 45 seconds, I would stop and let it cool off. It will take patience, but it will go a lot better. I was impatient and just used the hose to cool everything off every few steps.

Harbor freight bit will drill 5 or 6 holes, then it's done. That's what I got out of mine. Then I reverted to my Home Depot expensive (~30) one which is still sharp.

If you think drilling the 9/16 is work, try the 1 1/4" for a electrical element. That bit only lasted 2 holes and done.

Tap oil is your friend. If it starts smoking, it's too hot.

+1 on the Greenlee punch. Found this to work better than the step bit, especially on larger holes.

I've used a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw with good results. Only got 2 holes from it though. Once you've made a hole bigger than the pilot with step drill, you can't use the hole saw though.

Next time, I'm going the Greenlee punch route.

For the price, that greenlee punch bit looks interesting. Under $30 at my local Lowes.

I think your bit is your problem also. I used a bi-metal bit with great success. The 3 holes I drilled might have taken 30 seconds a piece without a pilot hole. I did use 3-in-1 oil with heavy pressure and slow speed as a few have already mentioned.

mike in duluth; im nate in I Falls. I used 2 cobalt bits - a really slim one then a thicker one, then my dremel with a sanding wheel. It installed a barg fitting valve perfectly

I picked up a two step bit pack from Harbor Freight.

What I'm thinking is to use the smaller bit to step as big as it will go, then use the larger bit to finish.

Will that make the bits last longer?

:confused:

My favorite method of drilling bigger holes is to go with a slightly undersized bimetal hole saw and then go up to the actual size with a step bit. You can then use the step bit to slightly chamfer/debur from the other side as well.

Why? Hole saws work fast but leave a pretty crappy edge. Step bits make a nice hole, but it kinda sucks having to make what amounts to 7 holes.

Back