A PID Question.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I understand the function of PIDs, but am having trouble with the description terminology in choosing the right one for my situation. I am building a RIMS system with manual propane burners for now, but would like the option to convert my HLT and Boil kettle to electric in the future. So do they make PIDS which can control 3 separate processes (3 output relays/sensors) simultaniously, or do I have to use 3 individual controllers?

One that I saw says it has two additional event relays. Does this Give me what I want, or something different?

http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=20808

So I understand the function of PIDs, but am having trouble with the description terminology in choosing the right one for my situation. I am building a RIMS system with manual propane burners for now, but would like the option to convert my HLT and Boil kettle to electric in the future. So do they make PIDS which can control 3 separate processes (3 output relays/sensors) simultaniously, or do I have to use 3 individual controllers?

One that I saw says it has two additional event relays. Does this Give me what I want, or something different?

http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=20808

A PID can control only one process at a time. You would need 3 PID's to control 3 processes simultaneously. The only exceptions to this that I know of would be something like a Brewtroller or BCS-460 which are designed specifically for this purpose.

A PID can control only one process at a time. You would need 3 PID's to control 3 processes simultaneously. The only exceptions to this that I know of would be something like a Brewtroller or BCS-460 which are designed specifically for this purpose.

Thanks Sawdustguy.

So what are the "additional event relays" I'm reading about?

The extra relays are for high & low temperature alarms. Lets you ring a bell or something if your kiln gets too hot.

Got mine from auberins.com (I think that's pretty common here). I called and talked with them. They answer the phone and are willing to support their product. There is also a tremendous support resource in the folks on THIS site. You will need to make some decisions about how you are going to use the PID and what kind of probes/sensors you need.

Plan out now what you think you will be doing in the future with your set up. I considered a PID and then realized I would be better off with the BrewTroller or BCS as mentioned above. I went with the BCS for a few reasons. One of which was the on screen interface instead of the small LED display.

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/

Plan out now what you think you will be doing in the future with your set up. I considered a PID and then realized I would be better off with the BrewTroller or BCS as mentioned above. I went with the BCS for a few reasons. One of which was the on screen interface instead of the small LED display.

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/

1. Requires a computer. Might be a feature for some, and a liability for others.
  2. still requires SSRs and temp sensors. I.e., the BCS-460 only replaces the PID itself
I really like the BCS-460 idea, but I don't want to deal with the PC on brewday. Brewing, for me, is a chance to get away from the box.

1. Requires a computer. Might be a feature for some, and a liability for others.
  2. still requires SSRs and temp sensors. I.e., the BCS-460 only replaces the PID itself
I really like the BCS-460 idea, but I don't want to deal with the PC on brewday. Brewing, for me, is a chance to get away from the box.

No PC required with the Brewtroller and it can control pumps and solenoid valves if you wish. You are still going to need a SSR or contactor.

There are systems with 3 pids called PLC but it's not really affordable and still need SSRs.
The BCS-460 and the brewtroller look like nice toys for big boys ( and girls ) ;o)

You can grab 3 PIDs at auberins and make a nice setup with that.

There are systems with 3 pids called PLC but it's not really affordable and still need SSRs.
The BCS-460 and the brewtroller look like nice toys for big boys ( and girls ) ;o)

You can grab 3 PIDs at auberins and make a nice setup with that.

It's almost break even. The Brewtroller is $115 and (3) Auber PID's could cost from $108 to $116. The SSR's cost the same for each. Pick your poison.

It's almost break even. The Brewtroller is $115 and (3) Auber PID's could cost from $108 to $116. The SSR's cost the same for each. Pick your poison.

Ahh, thanks. Their site is being updated and I couldn't find a price. Brewtroller seems like a pretty economical option for what I'm planning to do.

So, It looks like you have to connect the brewtroller to a PC to input commands? Whereas a PID has buttons on the display to adjust settings? Is this correct, cause this could be an issue for me.

So, It looks like you have to connect the brewtroller to a PC to input commands? Whereas a PID has buttons on the display to adjust settings? Is this correct, cause this could be an issue for me.

No, there is a rotary device that you can input with also. You can do it with a PC also.

OK, so a single rotary device to input multiple commands? How does it work exactly? I can't even find a picture of it on their website.

You rotate the knob to go to your selection and depress the knob to select. For example, to change the HLT temperature, rotate the knob until you get to HLT temperature, depress the knob to select it then rotate the knob to dial in the temperature and press the know to lock in the temperature.

I understand completely, these computers have a way of sneaking into every aspect of life. FYI, if you want to use the BCS without a computer, you can use your iPhone/iPod Touch touchscreen as an input device. Click on the 'Pics' or 'Videos' at the top of the page to see screenshots.

http://software.druidhillroad.com/

Back