new thought?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenspider

Reaction score
All right, I just had an epiphany.
Don't know if this has been discussed but couldn't find anything in the searches.
Before I insert my foot into my mouth I would appreciate some clarification.
I am still learning much of the jargon so some may not be correct. I will underline terms that I am unsure of.
Hopefully someone will fill me in as to the correct term if I am wrong.

I see some set ups pump their mash water? through a small water filled "bucket" with an electric heating element in it.
If I recall correctly, the "mash water" is pumped thru this water filled bucket to keep it circulating and the element keeps the temp constant?
Is anybody familiar with the set up I am referring to?
Could you explain it more clearly for me?

Thx, that was it.
I found the article where I first seen this; http://www.philrobins.org.uk/
I'm pretty sure Phil's a member of at least 1 of the brew groups I belong to also.
If you're out there Phil I would like to ask you a question about this.
Anyway, Phil shows the heat exchanger he built.
He circulates the wort thru tubing inserted into water inside the heat exchanger, and I see that the heat exchanger heats the water, and by conduction this heats and controls the temp of his wort.
After the wort flows thru the tubing I assume it returns to the mash tun?
Is he fly sparging with this set up, or is it something else?
I need to understand what this is doing so that I can use some of the items I have on hand to make a sculpture.

Hi,

my system is a HERMS but I use a seperate water bath rather than the HLT. Mainly so I can heat it quickly to change th mash temperature.

Once I finish mashing I do indeed fly sparge with my system by pumping the sparge liquor through the heat exchanger onto the top of the mash.

Regards,
/Phil.

Back