Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpyyyyy

Reaction score
I have already found a keg that I have cut a hole in the top of. My question is regarding adding a 3pc valve assembly.

This keg will be used as the boil kettle, not an MT. If it is being used as a BK, does it need a false bottom/dip tube assembly, or is this primarily for the mashing. I know there will be a lot of cold break that I won't want to be in my beer. I guess my real question is, what parts will I need for a solid BK?

(I am planning on purchasing the 3pc assembly from brewhardware.com)

You won't need a false bottom, but it's beneficial to have a dip tube so that you can drain most/all of the liquid in the vessel. Depending on your system (if you have a pump), you can also install a whirlpool fitting that you can pump through to create the whirlpool effect and separate your cold break from the wort.

So essentially, one valve with a dip tube is all you really need.

You won't need a false bottom, but it's beneficial to have a dip tube so that you can drain most/all of the liquid in the vessel. Depending on your system (if you have a pump), you can also install a whirlpool fitting that you can pump through to create the whirlpool effect and separate your cold break from the wort.

So essentially, one valve with a dip tube is all you really need.

Thanks for the quick answer. Much appreciated.

I think this guy in the video does movie trailer voice-overs! He has a set of pipes on him! wow.

LOL he works for a radio station. he's mentioned it on a video he has up. His voice is pretty epic

There are a lot of ways to get the wort out of the kettle. I use a circular copper ring (3/8") that's mounted to a compression fitting and a ball valve. I do a simple whirlpool then I let it sit for 5 minutes. The ring is mounted about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom (along the bottom - not the sides obviously). So far this has worked great.

MC

Back