Keggle conversion "do over"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered before but I didn't find the thread.

So I have been reading through countless posts about keggle conversions for a typical 3 vessel setup in preparation for my eventual trip down this road. I have seen a bunch of different ideas and some really beautiful work. Most of the posts just describe the process of the conversion and a few reports about how it worked out.

My question is for all those keggle (not a huge fan of that word but it's easy to find threads with it) owners out there that have some brewing sessions on their equipment now.

If you had a chance to "do over" the process what would you change about your setup? Fitting placements, electric vs gas, etc. I am interested to see what everyone's version 2.0 would be like.

I'd go with a single vessel BIAB set-up! Actually 99% of the way to that goal and then I will most likely sell the 3 keggle set up. So I am going from a hybrid electric/gas to all electric.

I built a 3 vessel, propane-fired rig & brewed on it for several years & learned a lot. Mine was strictly gravity fed at first, but I added a pump later and it really helped since I could add direct heat while recirculating. I sold it a few months ago and am in the process of building an electric BIAB system after reading about it here & elsewhere on the 'net. I want something more efficient, smaller, simpler and want to shorten my brewday. I think the new rig will meet those objectives. Everybody's situation is a little different and I made small changes on mine over the years - these things tend to evolve as you use them. The only thing I would have changed on my old system would be to place the MLT thermowell a little lower in the keg. It worked fine for 10 gal batches, but it wasn't low enough to measure the strike water for 5 gal batches. I don't have dimensions, but it's something to consider on your build....

Back