Keezer fan and electrical question (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopyard

Reaction score
I've begun my Keezer project and I want to order a fan for blowing air up into a 3" pvc duct into my coffin and then back down into the keezer. It will be a horseshoe path.

here are some pictures:

December2011021.jpg

2034.jpg

2036.jpg

2037.jpg

December2011023.jpg

Question #1 - If I go with an A/C fan, can I wire it up using the existing wires for the light and the high temp switch?

Question #2 - If so how?

Question #3 - Is there any advantage to a D/C fan such as lower current or less noise.

Question #4 - Any suggestions on which fan for the size I need. I would like it to be fairly quiet but move a good amount of air.

Question #1 - If I go with an A/C fan, can I wire it up using the existing wires for the light and the high temp switch? i would say yes..... even though im not an electrician

Question #2 - If so how? you need muiltimeter to see where the electricity is at and i would just splice the wire or use those 3m taps sold at the hardware store i would with the light fixture wires but i dont know if the light stays on all the time or not. also do you want the fan on all the time?

Question #3 - Is there any advantage to a D/C fan such as lower current or less noise. d/c maybe a little more efficent..but then you need a transformer for the fan with the appropriate voltage..i would just go with a/c fan

Question #4 - Any suggestions on which fan for the size I need. I would like it to be fairly quiet but move a good amount of air. i wold get the biggest one that fits...as for noise output you will just have to take a leap of faith and hope its as quiet as you want. its hard to tell how loud its going to be . but the faster it go's the louder it will be also attach it to a sturdy part of the structure to reduce loise and vibration

Thanks. I think I am going to go with a DC fan in hope that it uses less energy. I am going to bypass all those wires after all because I decided I want the fan to run continuously, even when the unit shuts off.

good choice....d/c will be less complex(and you wont get electricuted). i recommended a/c in the other post because i thought you might not want to buy a transformer and spend more money. a/c would have been a more "built in" and professional looking but in the long run its just a fan and not for looks and who care if it will take up an extra plug on your electrical socket. d/c will work the same and there is no guess work. just 2 leads to work with and if you want to be fancy you can install a on/off switch for added control. also you dont have to worry about messing up somthing and ruining the fridge(or worse, the house on fire or something)

I have that freezer and I wired the fan. You can take out the buzzer and wire the fan where it used to be and it will work, however it will only turn on when the freezer is running. The wiring gets more complicated to have it run all the time.

Back