How are you heating and boiling on your 1bbl system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
I'm just curious what people do at the 1bbl level. Are you gas fired? Steam? I'm looking at SS 55 gal drums, and thinking about how those would be heated...

My BK is a 55 gallon SS drum. I usually make 30 gallon batches but have made several 35 gallon batches. My BK is heated with two 4500 watt electric elements. They are controlled by a PID and after a boil is acheived, I have the PID set at 85% power. I think my system is a little bit underpowered but I am unwilling to make smaller batches ;-)

So you are pulling two 220v circuits to manage? Similar setup for the HLT? I figured that elec wouldn't be as popular with bigger batches. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I have a 50 amp 240 vac gfi breaker in my load center. I run two 4500 watt elements on 240 vac. It takes me about 2 hours to heat 50 gallons of water from 50F to 160F to start my brewday.

I have a 50 amp 240 vac gfi breaker in my load center. I run two 4500 watt elements on 240 vac. It takes me about 2 hours to heat 50 gallons of water from 50F to 160F to start my brewday.

I can't help but think about how inexpensive a 40 or 50g hot water heater is. I have mine dialed to 150 right now. Somehow, that seems relevant. If I brewed in my garage (I don't, but that is where my hot water heater is), I'd be really tempted to hook hose to drain and tap into that ready supply. I'd have to purge the rust, first :)

I kick my water heater up to 160* the night before I do my 10 gallon batches. That cuts down time a lot. I dont see why one would not do the same thing for a 30 gallon batch.

I don't get the idea of having two water heating tanks next to each other. Either you use a household water heater with the temp controller modified to reach strike temps or you create an HLT that is as efficient as holding heat.

If the idea is based on having the water at a certain temp waiting for you with no intervention, there's no reason you couldn't build a timer into your control system.

Well my reasoning was that I'd probably want a HERMS coil through the HLT. Not sure I want to install that in a hot water heater. But I understand what you are saying Bobby.

Latest posts

Back