How would I...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighter_dm

Reaction score
Last night I was stung buy a scorpion. Yes I will live.

I was able to get it before it got away. An idea crossed my mind while I was using four letter words in his honor.

Is there a way to put him in a tap handle so he can be seen clearly. Looking for ideas and any assistance that can be provided.

OH HELL YES! There are epoxy kits for this very purpose! not sure of your location... but check some of the craft stores and do some google searches. I know guys have done this for motorcycle parts and made hand shifters that look like door knobs out of epoxy with spiders in them.

[edit] Also.. glad you are doing well

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

The same foam you use for insulating stuff will fill hollow tap handles just fine.

Bob

Would't that make it so you couldn't see the scorpion?

Also, you'll likely need to make a replica out of clay or some other material, pour a rubber layer over to make a mold, then use the clear epoxy.

As some others have stated, resin is the way to go. I'd suggest a polyester resin (PR). This is commonly used in penmaking (another one of my hobbies) for casting different items (carbon fiber, watch parts, snakeskin, etc.) into pen blanks that are then turned on a wood lathe. You could cast it to a rectangular blank and then have it turned, or cast it to the shape you want and sand it by hand.

Hobby Lobby sells Castin Craft resin. IMHO, it's overpriced and turns out very brittle. I'd highly recommend using Silmar 41 from US Composites. I buy mine from Illstreet Composites. Easy to work with, reasonably priced, durable, and crystal clear when dry.

You'll want to either put the filled mold under pressure, or really heat up the resin before you pour it to make sure you don't get any air bubbles!

Edit: found a link on the pen site you might like to look at: link

Here's some information for you...

How to preserve a scorpion

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Z6KxQUra8]How the encapsulate insects in resin[/ame]

scorpion_nc60600sc_detail.jpg

If you're wondering, the answer is YES. This will be absolutely BAD ASS when you are done with it.

Thanks to all of you. Looks like I should be able to get this done. Feeling a lot better to looks like he did not like being layed on and gave me as much juice as he could. Spent most of yesterday feeling pretty off and numb. I'm out and about today to see what I can find local.

image-1342826396.jpg

I'm constantly amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge on this forum. I've gotten answers here to questions about plumbing, astrophysics, electrical, etc. This is a serious hive mind!

Back