help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trfd13

Reaction score
I have a (store) 1/4 keg and 1/2 keg. Am looking into either making brew pots or fermenter. I am fairly new to home brewing so am doing extract brews. Any ideas or suggestions

Any ideas for what?
You can make a keggle out of your 1/2 barrel. Plenty of guides, pics, etc.

not sure if i should do brew pots or the fermenter. perhaps i should have mentioned i have a plasma cuttrer and am a welder/machinest by trade.

A 1/4 bbl keg is on the small side for a boil kettle/brew vessel but about the perfect size for a fermenter. Take the spear out (plenty of how to guides and videos if you do a quick search) and put a rubber bung in the top, or an orange carboy cap over the top, and you've got a great fermenter. The 1/2 bbl keg is the perfect size for a boil kettle. Remove the spear, cut a hole in the top, and install a ball valve and pick up tube. If you want to use your plasma cutter to cut the top, fill it with some water first so that you don't end up with a bunch of slag stuck to the bottom.

what does "(store)" mean? are these legally yours? or do they still belong to the brewery??

A 1/4 bbl keg is on the small side for a boil kettle/brew vessel but about the perfect size for a fermenter. Take the spear out (plenty of how to guides and videos if you do a quick search) and put a rubber bung in the top, or an orange carboy cap over the top, and you've got a great fermenter. The 1/2 bbl keg is the perfect size for a boil kettle. Remove the spear, cut a hole in the top, and install a ball valve and pick up tube. If you want to use your plasma cutter to cut the top, fill it with some water first so that you don't end up with a bunch of slag stuck to the bottom.

Ignore the keg police, man. Juan hit the nail on the head.

I'm actually pretty jealous of your cutting/welding skills. I assume you got the funk since you have the equipment.

Brew on, brotha! :mug:

I would seriously consider cutting the hole in the bottom of the keg. I wish that I would have known to do that before I did my keggles.

Use the keg upside down to take advantage of the top port so that you can drain every last drop of liquid from your vessel and you eliminate welding in a coupling in the side.

Check this for an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rip-cooler-e-hlt-helloooooo-bottom-drain-keg-e-hlt-176101/

Oh yeah and nice to see another welder on HBT. I myself have been a welder for 22 years.

what does "(store)" mean? are these legally yours? or do they still belong to the brewery??

ok since the police are watching, the kegs were given to me by the beer rep that goes to a friend of mines bar. and yes they are sanke. thanks to the rest of you who dont automatically assume someone is a crook for the help

thankyou to the ones that helped. and to the keg police, they were given to me by a beer rep that comes in to a friends bar, i consider that legal

I would seriously consider cutting the hole in the bottom of the keg. I wish that I would have known to do that before I did my keggles.

Use the keg upside down to take advantage of the top port so that you can drain every last drop of liquid from your vessel and you eliminate welding in a coupling in the side.

Check this for an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rip-cooler-e-hlt-helloooooo-bottom-drain-keg-e-hlt-176101/

Oh yeah and nice to see another welder on HBT. I myself have been a welder for 22 years.

I love the bottom drains on my HLT and MLT. Bottom draining can be done even leaving the keg right side up, but since a 2" tri-clamp fits a sanke neck so perfectly it makes flipping the keg over an easy option.

Back