Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #101
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigg View Post
Flomaster, did you adjust your coarse adjustment screw all the way? What is your temperature on your magic chef? Mine is too cold at 33-32*F.
yeah mine is turned all the way as far as I can turn it. I have my fine adjustment dial on the front turned all the way to the left and then just a 1/4 turn or so to the right. I have my temp probe in a vile of starsan sitting in the keezer just monitoring the temp its been at 1.2°C so I just turned my fine adjustment dial all the way to the left to see how warm it will get.

-=Jason=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #102
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Yep that was the trick I am at 40*f now woohoo

Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #103
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i made a ferm chamber out of a dorm fridge. the thermostat knob is on the right side, right where the door closes, and there is a probe running from the knob up to the freezer plate. any info on how to do this with a dorm fridges so i can get it in the 60-65 range?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #104
SeanT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFry View Post
Anyone with the cut-in/out screws figure it out?
I have been trying mine. I turned the screws (both) 4 turns warmer and let it sit. The temp was at 10F after about 12 hours. I turned them 3 more times warmer this morning and will check late tonight.

The only issue I may have is the temperature swings. If the screws aren't linear, the range that the freezer is on may be too large. Only one way to find out. If it doesn't work, I can always turn them all the way back and use an external controller.

BTW, my freezer is a Montgomery Ward 8060 (8.4 ft3).

Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #105
4x4jeep74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My frigidaire will be delivered this weekend. Can't wait to tear it apart, lol. No really I was on this site looking for what controller to get, now it looks like I may not need one, good stuff thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #106
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got this set with my kenmore 8.8. I turned the screw all the way to the right then used the knob to fine tune. worked perfect!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #107
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

+ 1 for sticky!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #108
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
i made a ferm chamber out of a dorm fridge. the thermostat knob is on the right side, right where the door closes, and there is a probe running from the knob up to the freezer plate. any info on how to do this with a dorm fridges so i can get it in the 60-65 range?
I'm trying to do this with an old mini-fridge as well. For mine, I took apart the thermostat inside the fridge and found a screw on the opposite side from my thermostat knob. After adjusting this screw, I can definitely adjust the range of temperatures but sadly, I can't see to hit ~60 degrees. My fridge will either turn on (34-40 degrees) or turn off completely. I may try to play around with it more but for now I'll give it a rest since I also use it to cold crash my beer.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #109
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have an OLD Frigidaire by General Motors freezer. Probably late 60s - early 70s. Would this thing have a coarse adjustment, ya think? I know the thing works, but I haven't used it yet. Got it for $25 at an estate sale.

I'd like to use it for my beer fridge in order to free up my current beer fridge for cold crashing. I can't use the freezer for CC because I can't take the shelves out - the coolant lines are built into the shelves.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #110
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrriiide View Post
I have an OLD Frigidaire by General Motors freezer. Probably late 60s - early 70s. Would this thing have a coarse adjustment, ya think? I know the thing works, but I haven't used it yet. Got it for $25 at an estate sale.

I'd like to use it for my beer fridge in order to free up my current beer fridge for cold crashing. I can't use the freezer for CC because I can't take the shelves out - the coolant lines are built into the shelves.
It wouldn't hurt to check. This kind of sounds like a universal concept on thermostats.

How built in are the coolant lines to the shelves? One of the mini-fridges I had to tear apart had coolant lines attached to a metal shelf. I realized I could pry it apart by using a screw driver to bend some metal tabs around the coolant lines. Afterwards, I simply used some cable ties to bunch up the coolant lines to the side. If this is the case with yours, I'd give it a try.

Quick Reply