Fridge/Freezer Controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moncadaf

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2001 GE side by side refrigerator/freezer with temp control knobs in the fridge portion. The dials go from 0 - 9, with 1 being the warmest and 9 being the coldest. I want to be able to ferment in both sides, ales in the fridge and lagers in the freezer. The problem I am having is that even when i turn the knobs to 1, the fridge and freezer stay too cold (60 & 30 degrees respectively). I would like the fridge side to be at about 70 and the freezer side to be at about 50. I looked at the wiring diagram and I did not find thermostats rather I found thermistors.

Is there a way to change the dials to digital to program in the exact temps I want? Or is there a more simple way? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Frank

I recently used an STC-1000 to make a temp controller for a fridge fermentation chamber. Search 'STC-1000' and you'll find some threads.

I had the same idea as you, but it doesn't work because there is only one thermostat and compressor in the fridge. The freezer is like a resevoir of cold that the fridge takes from as necessary, and the freezer replenishes the cold as needed. My setup is a freezer-up/fridge-down and while the fridge stays a nice 65, the freezer fluctuates from 30 to 60. It only comes on when the controller tells the fridge to come on, so overnight, the entire fridge stays right around 65, and the freezer warms up to that temp too. During the day, the fridge needs to run, so the freezer is actually on and it drops to below freezing.

I was afraid I would not be able to control both. 1 last question, does the STC-1000 control the temp of the freezer or the fridge? The reason I ask is because if the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer, wouldn't the STC-1000 control the freezer?

Thanks,
Frank

Here is a thread where I asked a similar question. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/new-fermenting-fridge-qs-414876/

The STC-1000 has a temperature sensor at the end of a wire that you put wherever you want to keep the temp controlled. So you could put it in the freezer if you wanted, and ferment in there. It would probably be more efficient since the freezer makes cold directly, but the fridge just borrows from it. But usually the freezer is smaller, so for the volume you need to use the fridge for a fermenting chamber.

Here is another thread on building a temp control box. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-tss2-controller-box-build-195713/

The sensor/controller just acts as a toggle for power to an outlet. You plug your fridge into the outlet and when the power comes on, the fridge comes on. The fridge doesn't know it is being controlled, it is trying to get down to freezing, but the controller only lets it run when it gets warmer than the temp you set it at.

Back