The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Easy Slow drip for a swamp cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Easy Slow drip for a swamp cooler

I use a swamp cooler to keep my carboys cool quite a bit. Throw some water in a rubbermaid, put a shirt on the carboy, and set a fan on my turkey fryer's burner, and blow it at the carboy.

Problem was, the shirt wouldn't wick up moisture fast enough, meaning it would just dry out. Which makes it worthless as a swamp cooler.

So I devised the following setup-

Basically, I stuck a hose on my bottling bucket's nozzle, opened it up slightly, and let it drip. It can keep the shirt wet for at least 12 hours, which is about 11 more than before.

I put ice in the rubbermaid and in the bottling bucket twice a day, and move water from the rubbermaid up to the bottling bucket, and let gravity do its work.

It's not a crazy techno thing, but I've been trying to figure out how to keep the shirt wet for awhile, and am psyched that this is working, especially since it took no new equipment.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wouldn't it have been easier to either slow down the fan, or move it farther away?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fan is on the slowest setting, and I figure that this way there is more evaporation and more cooling.
Although, that makes me wonder if I could turn up the fan and drip, and if that would a significant difference.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Turning the fan down so it evaporates slower is counter productive since the cooling is coming from the evaporation of water. I like the set up, keep the fan on high

Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Very sweet idea... I've been looking for a use for my bottling bucket since I started kegging. It looks so lonely sitting up on the shelf all the time. Kinda like the mop on the swiffer commercials! This will give it a purpose again! Thanks!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
CodyBoyBrewery
Recipes 

I'm surprised that the shirt didn't have enough wicking action to continuously pull the water from the tub. I haven't had a problem with mine drying out, but I don't use a fan either. How much water do you have in the tub?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Ben Franklin

Primary: Nothing at the moment! The HORROR!
Coming Soon: Brown Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale

Quick Reply