couple videos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonbrewer

Reaction score
Wow, excellent job on your Brutus clone! Thanks for posting the video, your rig looks sweet all decked out with the tri clamps and new kettles (Sabco's I presume). I'm still in the middle of my build and your system is motivating me to get moving on mine.

Just curious if you are monitoring your chilling process/temperature with one of those three pid conrollers? I am thinking about using one just to monitor the temp when I am chilling the wort. It won't actually control anything but it will give me a digital temp reading that I can attach to an alarm, to go off when I reach my target temperature.

Thanks!

Yes....I have 2 temps gauges in use during the chilling process.

I do a re-circulation in the Boil kettle during chilling. I monitor the output of the kettle, before entering the plate chiller. This gives me a good idea when all of the wort is cooled down.

I also have an analog that attaches to the wort out on my plate chiller with tri-clamps.

Very Nice, I'm probably going to do the same with mine. I also bought a tri-clamp trub filter from Derrin at Brewer's Hardware (he is a vendor on this site), to filter out all the hops, trub, etc before it enters my Therminator, I don't want to clog that up and this looks like a good way to go. Here is the link if you don't already know about it. Click on the test results I was impressed how good it worked and that is without the metal screen that can be added to this as well.

http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

How do you like that model digital timer and was it difficult to wire it up? Also do you have your alarm set up to go off when you dial in a set temperature, a set time for the mash lets say, or both temperature and time? Sorry for the questions but I am going to order this same timer and pid controllers and want to know from someone who already has these items how they like them and how good do they work.

John

i've been using a hop bag....and its been fine.

I have the Auber 2362 PIDs and the ASL-51 timer. I picked that model PID for several reasons...it supports ON/OFF mode for solenoid, SSR mode, and manual SSR mode. I wanted the option to go to electric in the future

The alarm is currently only wired to sound when the timer counts down to 0. I am planning to also wire the alarm to the PIDs...so I could be notified when my HLT is up to temp...or if my MASH gets too hot, etc. Just haven't had time yet.

both were very easy to program...the manuals are very easy to understand. I would definately recommend the Auber stuff.

Excellent, I was going to order my Auber controllers and timer next week. I like your idea of keeping all the options open. Your smart choosing that controller in case you want to convert to electric later. I will probably take your advice and do the same, who knows this option may come up for me later as well. Thanks for the informative reply!

John

Back