New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cooling wort without running water: HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
jcastanon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooling wort without running water: HELP

Hey everybody,

I recently moved to an all grain system in a buddies garage. It's a great little space except for one thing: there is no way to get running water. No hose. No sink. Not even a rain gutter. Okay maybe there's a rain gutter.

ANYWAYS, I have had trouble with cooling my wort in a timely manner. I have tried an ice bath, but the problem with that is none of my pots fit into a cooler. I also tried putting my wort into my fermentation vessel while it was in an ice bath. That worked... kinda. I did effectively warp my better bottle and it took a couple hours for me to get to a temp where I could pitch my yeast.

An idea that I had was to place my immersion chiller into an ice bath and let the wort flow through that into my fermentation vessel. I figured it could work like a counter flow chiller minus the running water.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this method before or if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to responses, ideas, and probably some ridicule.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Vesku
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been thinking to use an old dehumidifier to cool water and then use the cold water and CFC to cool the wort. If you could get a powerful enough air conditioner you could run the gas straight on to the CFC. A plenty of Chinese manufactures to choose CFC's from. Or if you can find an old ice making machine.....

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothermal-heat-pumps/484-homemade-heat-pump-manifesto.html

Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
BayerischBier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

if you have no hose etc in reach, how do you get water, as the main ingredient of beer, to the garage?
How far is the garage from the next water source?
You could run a long hose for fresh water and then just attach a run-off hose to the chiller and get the used water into the backyard etc.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Bradyfumbled
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a small submersible pond-pump that I toss into a bucket of ice water and attach it to my wort chiller. I then recirculate cold water into my immersion chiller. That would be an easy way to deal with your problem, if you don't want don't want to deal with pumping the actual wort. Just have to lug a cooler full of water to the garage.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I liked your original idea of recirculating the wort in an immersion chiller put into an ice bath… obviously you’d have to run sanitizer in the chiller. More beers new brew rigs use something similar for step mashing (just the opposite). I have a 50’ copper iwc and always try to get as much water out as possible but know there’s still some in it when it gets put away… I’d be reluctant to run my wort through it.

I go with pond pump in ice bath.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 316

I have "no chilled" my last 6 batches. It works good. The Aussies have been doing this for years. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/

Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Take a bucket and attach a hose bib to that. Run a hose from that to a pump, and pump the water into the chiller. Recirculate from the output back into the bucket. Add ice or snow to the bucket as needed.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
jcastanon
Recipes 

I use those 5 gallon bottles of distilled water from Walmart.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17 View Post
I have "no chilled" my last 6 batches. It works good. The Aussies have been doing this for years. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/
I was going to recommend this but got beat. I have been wanting to try this myself.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
kaboom133
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

I would imagine your idea with the IC would work just as well as a CFC as long as you had enough ice to keep the water around the chiller cool. Either pump it through or elevate your kettle enough to get a good siphon through it. I siphon my wort through a CFC and it comes out the other side at about 65 degrees.

Quick Reply