Cleaning up a sanke fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When using the sanke keg fermenter, how do you clean up after fermentation is done?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f133/spartenburg-15-5-gallon-ss-keg-119272/
It just seems that it might be easier to clean and sanitize if you added a corney keg lit and top to the sanke keg to get better access. Maybe I am wrong.

That would be easier.
I start by rinsing it with a high-pressure hose until there is no gunk inside. Then I fill it up about 1/2 way and boil it.
After it boils a while, I empty it and cap it off and store it away.
On brewday I fill it up 1/2 way again and boil it again. I have a double burner so I do it side by side with my boil kettle.
After it boils for 10-15 minutes, I empty it and set it aside. When I'm cooling my wort, I use some of the waste water to fill it with star-san that gets dumped right before I put the wort in.
I've done many batches this way and have never gotten an infection. ~knocks wood~
I've got 6 sanke fermenters and I love them. I've thought about doing the corny lid conversion but I'm reluctant to spend the money to have it done.

Ok thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure how hard it would be to clean out an old used keg.

I fill with hot water and add either PBW or Oxiclean. Let this concoction sit for a day or so, drain and rinse. On brewday I just as a few inches of water and boil for 15-20 min to steam clean it.

I just rinse and add warm water with oxyclean or PBW as well. let it sit for at least 24 hours then rinse completely. I usually fill mine with sanitizer solution the day before I plan to fill it with wort and im done.

I fill with hot water and add either PBW or Oxiclean. Let this concoction sit for a day or so, drain and rinse. On brewday I just as a few inches of water and boil for 15-20 min to steam clean it.

Originally when I got the kegs I filled them up with oxyclean for a couple of days too. That works wonders on all kinds of funky stuff.

A #10 stopper fits all the way down in the neck for a better seal for the airlock. Also the rubber carboy caps inverted work well too.

Back