Can you help me disable the freezer portion of my mini fridg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I worried that the freezer portion will disrupt the equilibrium in my mini refrigerator. If I could disable the freezer, temps would be easier to stabilize. I'm not sure this is really even possible, but take a look at these photos and lets see what we can figure out:

2014-09-15 00.40.08.jpg

2014-09-15 13.09.26.jpg

2014-09-15 13.09.35.jpg

2014-09-15 13.09.46.jpg

looks like you already took the "freezer" section out. there arent two compressors or anything with those. the coils are in the box that is the freezer and the fridge part gets cold because there is a freezer in it.

looks like you already took the "freezer" section out. there arent two compressors or anything with those. the coils are in the box that is the freezer and the fridge part gets cold because there is a freezer in it.

There seems to only be one compressor.

Right now, on the lowest setting, my external thermometer registers the fridge at 37f........

I guess this isn't such a bad thing since the thermometer in the thermowell will dictate when to shut on and off... I just wasn't expecting such an extreme.....

Extreme what? Don't most fridges run at about that temp?

If you disable what you are calling the freezer, you've just trashed your fridge. That's how all the small mini-fridges work.

To be fair, a lot of large fridges only have 1 compressor for the freezer section, and your thermostat for the fridge section only controls a fan or opening between the two to allow cold air from the freezer into the fridge.

But without a doubt, if you remove the plate you have bent in the back of your mini-fridge, you will have a small insulated box that hums and does nothing else.

Extreme what? Don't most fridges run at about that temp?

If you disable what you are calling the freezer, you've just trashed your fridge. That's how all the small mini-fridges work.

And that's kind of what I've been figuring... first fridg mod and all

To be fair, a lot of large fridges only have 1 compressor for the freezer section, and your thermostat for the fridge section only controls a fan or opening between the two to allow cold air from the freezer into the fridge.

But without a doubt, if you remove the plate you have bent in the back of your mini-fridge, you will have a small insulated box that hums and does nothing else.

Thanks for all of your help once again!

The reason for the bent freezer bar was to make room for the blow off tube... its receptacle will sit where the crisper was :)

As the others have said, if you disable the freezer portion you may as well throw that insulated box in the trash.

Be very careful with the freezer portion, if you kink or pierce the cooling lines the fridge is ruined.

Get an external temperature controller like the Johnson A419, or other. To control your temperatures. Set the fridge at coldest then the controller just turns the power to the fridge on and off per the temperature and variation range you select.

Back