Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Building permits for a dedicated brewing room - hints?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #71
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimerickBrewCo
Personally I would call it a second kitchen and avoid using brewing or homebrew or anything related to making beer unless asked directly. I wouldn't lie if they ask but be clear about what you are doing and the legality of it. After I brewed my first batch of beer I brought a few over to my parent's house and my dad was convinced I was doing something illegal. The point being a lot of people might thing you are doing something you aren't supposed to if they aren't familiar with the legality of homebrewing.
You could always show a copy of local regulations regarding homebrew to put their mind at ease.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #72
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For those of you who keep saying that he should call it a second kitchen, a lot of municipalities up here in Canada forbid second kitchens in single family dwellings. Once you add a second kitchen they think you are going to rent out part of your place as a suite so it is illegal without making an entire suite and getting zoning for tenant. Kal is better off just calling it a work shop or something along those lines.

MoB

Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #73
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's why I asked if there was a separate entrance. The kitchen label might not fly.
Looks like it has to be a finished basement with a sweet laundry room.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #74
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
That's why I asked if there was a separate entrance. The kitchen label might not fly.
Looks like it has to be a finished basement with a sweet laundry room.
Yep... it will just have a HECK of a "utility" sink in it as well as supplemental water heaters for all those stubborn stains on the clothes!

Good luck Kal... Red tape can run thick some times. Wish it could just be shredded lots of times.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #75
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
No separate entrance. No bedroom in the basement either or anything else that would make it seem like a suite meant for second occupancy. (Not even sure if that's allowed in the neighbourhood I'm in).

Everything we're doing makes it very much a single family home with a basement for entertaining. (hic)

Kal
Sounds like you have a cellar not a basement. Just sayin... A basement has a seperate entrance. I know cellars have much stricter codes for kitchens due to the lack of regress options in the case of a fire. Dealing with inspectors can be difficult as you are aware but in some cases you are actually better off not asking too many questions. Rely on the knowlage of your designer/contractor to inform you of your local requiremnets. Good luck and look forward pictures of your progress.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #76
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Came across the thread thread I started a year and a half later and noticed that I never really closed the loop...

We ended up calling the basement brewery a "Hobby Room" on the permit drawings and we had zero issues with any of the inspectors (building/plumbing, or electrical). As we expected everyone was concerned that the various items (plumbing fixtures/sinks/drains/electrical/structural) were done to code, and not with the usage of the room.

Kal

Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #77
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Kal,

Glad you reported back on the final outcome. I had followed this thread as it went along but didn't comment because I had no experience with pulling permits or inspections other than on a residential garage. I do wonder what inspectors would have thought of my 72" long by 30" wide by 24" high sink that I had in a previous house in a photographic darkroom though. Wish I had that sink now for cleaning brewing stuff.

Chuck

Quick Reply