Brew Stand Water Filter with Chiller Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hi All-

I was inspired by the DIY Whole House Water Filter projects that I saw here on HBT.

First off, this is the most painful DIY that I have done yet (maybe I am just not a plumber!) So, I hope this inspires someone else to do something better. I am a pretty sure that this could have been done for less money and time (I went to Home Depot about 6 times!)

I have a wooden brew cart with a RV Hose and Therminator Plate Chiller.

I use a refrigerator ice make filter but it would leak, I had to store it and it wasn't very integrated.

The is the space that I had to work with on the cart:

place+for+fill+and+chill+controls.jpg

Here is what I came up with, I hope to mount it on the cart this afternoon and give it a test:

2014-03-29+20.19.51.jpg

The left side (is the filter and valve) it comes out of a 1/2 hose barb.

The right side, has a garden hose out that I can quick connect to the Therminator chiller.

(you can see the garden hose water in from below, that will be connected to the RV hose that is attached to the cart.)

2014-03-29+20.26.54.jpg

2014-03-29+20.19.25.jpg

2014-03-29+15.05.00.jpg

I will post some final photos when it is on the cart and tested.

Hi All-

First my question (then I'll show the photos of the final build).

Q: Do I really need to remove the filter after use? I have read that a lot of people pull the filler and drain it. Seems like a PITA. If it matters I brew every 30-60 days. So, yeh, that water will be sitting in the filter in my garage (in California at up to 100+F).

Now, on to the show...

Here is what it looks like (I'm am quite happy with the results!):
2014-03-30+17.24.09.jpg

So, I flipped the brew cart over to do the final install:
2014-03-30+16.04.41.jpg

I use the plumber strap to relieve stress on the schedule 40 PVC when the filter is full of water. (see above)

I hooked it up and flushed the system for 15 minutes per the filter recommendation. This allowed me to do some flow rate tests as well.
2014-03-30+16.39.25.jpg

I used 3/4" PVC and valves so I expected the flow rate to be good. I got 4.3 GPM (gallons per minute) though the chiller side and 3.9 GPM through the filler (hose barb side).

2014-03-30+17.24.34.jpg

I have another question...
Should I fill the HLT through the ball valve (outlet) or would I be better off to build a PVC filler that would hang over the side to fill from the top? I probably have enough parts left over! I am thinking of a hose barb on the bottom and two elbows to hang it over the side of the HLT.

Thanks again for the inspiration and comments.

I word just fill through the ball valve. Why not? If you really want to plumb it you could but seems like excess. I guess I'm not one to talk about excess.... lol

I word just fill through the ball valve. Why not? If you really want to plumb it you could but seems like excess. I guess I'm not one to talk about excess.... lol

Thanks sandyeggoxj.

I'll give it a try filling through the ball valve on the HLT. I'm sure I'll get use to the process:

Open ball valve on HLT > Open ball valve to start the water flow from filter > Close the ball valve from the filler > Close the ball valve on the HLT

If I get that out of order then it will blow the hose off the hose barb and shoot water at my crotch. (I'm sure I'll only do that once!)

I am not a plumber either, but I love the sound system built into your brewing stand:mug:

I am not a plumber either, but I love the sound system built into your brewing stand:mug:

Right? I did a double take on that one. Very cool idea and excellent implementation. My jams are provided all ghetto style with a radio sitting nearby...

On the draining and removing the filter after use, I would, with no more frequent use than that.
Yes, it's drinking water, but sitting 30-60 days might give it a chance to grow mold or mildew or something.

On the draining and removing the filter after use, I would, with no more frequent use than that.
Yes, it's drinking water, but sitting 30-60 days might give it a chance to grow mold or mildew or something.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'm really not looking for another procedure to add to my brew day.

I tried to rationalize that it might be better to leave it full of water than just have it damp and closed up.

I didn't expect the speaker system to be the big hit of the Brew Cart. If anyone is interested here is the amp I use (it is mounted down on the left side).

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-4x45w-mini-amplifier-with-remote-usb-mp3-media-card-fm--310-304

I plug a USB flash drive into it and it has a remote control. Works pretty good for this application. I also have mounted a banana plug wall plate to hook up a second pair of speakers (for better bass and louder sound when having a BBQ in the back yard).

I have also hooked up a light so I can see if the pump is running, in case the music is too loud. The pump is turned on by a remote and I once activated it and ran while dry not knowing it was on.

Part of the reason why I wanted to build this filter is that water would drip very close to the amp when I was filling the HLT.

Brewing tomorrow. I did not pull the filter out, but I did run some water through it 2 weeks ago.

I'll give it a good flush tomorrow before filling the HLT.

I'll report back if it's got anything gross.

There has to be some energy source for mold or mildew to grow. If you have only water in it, and that water is not exposed to light, there is no opportunity for anything to grow. If there is light penetration through the plastic, wrap it in something opaque like a black plastic garbage bag between brews, and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back