Brew Stand Height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbrew

Reaction score
I'm finalizing my first DIY brew stand plans (two tier) with google sketchup and I have a couple questions before I start buying the hardware. I have set the stand height at 22 inches for the BK. I plan to gravity feed the wort from that height into the carboys. I also plan to add one of the Keg Cowboy plate chillers for cooling.

Is 22 inches to short or should I add a couple of inches considering a plate chiller will be added? 22 inches is over 6 gallon carboys by an inch or two.

Casters? on one end? both or not at all?

The majority of the stand will be built from 2 inch square tube.

I'd post a pic but I think you need to be premium member for that.

cheers

If you are going to have the MLT at the same height as the BK and use a pump then you should probably look at the height of the top of the MLT to be certain that you can stir grains and reach to the bottom to adjust the manifold without difficulty. Make the stand to that height. The height of the HLT doesn't matter much as long as it is above the MLT. The higher you put the BK above the carboy the better siphon ability.

I think that the bottom of my kettle is about 26" on my current stand but I pump the wort to the carboy.

Casters bring up obvious questions of preference.
No casters - hard to move
One end casters - must lift other end to move
Both end casters - roll around with no problem - probably need two locking casters.

Two inch square tube should be quite strong and might be overkill.

I like overkill, but I think 2" is way overkill. I used 1" tubing. The top of my stand in 30" off the ground. Single level. One pump. Liquor from MLT can go into bucket then get poured into BK for now. Wort chiller outfeed is 22" from ground, but with pump it doesn't matter. If you are doing gravity, design from the ground up backwards through the brew process and you will have what you need.

Prior to this stand I was using a folding table, and camp cooker on its 1" tubular legs.

I've got the top of my stand 20" off the ground, and I'm 6'2. Wanted to be able to comfortably look in to/stir the kegs.

Agree that 2" is overkill. 1.5" square with 1/16" wall or 1" square with 1/8" wall will provide more than enough strength. 1" square with 1/16 is enough too if you weld in some bracing.

2" x 1/8 is perfect! Use caster inserts from Mcmaster carr, and 5 inch casters from castercity.com. The 1/8' wall thickness allows you to tap some threads into it and make for a clean stand vice junk it up with useless u-bolts etc... . I have 5 inch casters (6-3/4" total), 24" vertical, and 1.5" stainless insert lift. The bottom of my keg is about 32'' from the floor. I'm 5'9" and can easily stir the mash. Bottom line is my next stand will have the vertical tube 20's vice 24. A 4 inch drop for me would be perfect. Also, Caster's are the key to a good stand. Without them you will be hating life. A little extra, (4 casters) on your stand will pay off!
snake10

2" x 1/8 is perfect! --- Well that’s not the consensus thus far but I’m going to stick with it. The price difference isn’t that much and if I go with 4 casters the extra weight shouldn’t matter.

The square tubing inserts at McMaster-Carr look to be a great way to mount the casters and I was wondering how to mount them before seeing them.

Castercity.com, talk about a sea of casters. I don’t suppose you have a part numbers for the 5 inch casters that mate up with inserts?

I think I will raise the stand up 4 inches so that the bottom of the BK will be 26 inches off the ground. That will put the top of my MT at 49 and allow for easy enough access, I’m 6’3”.. It’s always easier to cut some off down the road than have to weld some on if ever need be.

Like many others I’m going use the banjo burners. Many have heat shields and others do not. I’d like to use them to increase my efficiency but it looks like I’ll have to custom make them?

Snake10 - I like the paint you used on your stand. How well does it stand up to heat?

Any other paint recommendations?

Thanks for the input all! More questions to come down the road, I’m sure of that!

I have 4" casters. I used 1.5" ss tubing.
My rig is 30" high.
I have room for my 15g HLT on the bottom shelf, with my chiller and electric control box.
I can easily reach in and to the bottom of my 20g BK.
017ba821.jpg

Back