Blow off tube for better bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
Doing a RIS that I wouldn't be shocked if an airlock didn't hit the ceiling. Want to do a good size blow off tube. Was at the lhbs yesterday and the guy said the the mouths of the plastic carboys are a different size than glass and finding a tube to fit was impossible. Is this true? Suggestions? Hose sizes?

Thanks!

What I've done is cut off the bottom of an airlock, attached 1/2" silicone tubing with a hose clamp, and stuck the airlock end into the stopper - has worked fine for me. Good luck!

I use one of these and stick a piece of tubing in the hole.
o-ring%20closure%20&%20fittings.jpg

Too late (probably) for this one but Northern Brewer sells a blow off assembly. It is a #10 stopper with a bigger hole drilled in it and vinyl tubing. I think it is 7/16" OD. 1/2" ID. I have never had one clog. Yet!

I got the better bottle big blow plug that allows a 3/4" pipe thread for a hose barb and hose, a bit pricey but it works good.

I got the better bottle big blow plug that allows a 3/4" pipe thread for a hose barb and hose, a bit pricey but it works good.

That's what I do too!

20140403_102754_zpsda391e57.jpg

I have the bung that allows for a 3/4" npt fitting that I built a 'blow-off' tube for initial fermentation. If I'm dry-hopping I'll switch over to the standard Better-Bottle bung, with the air-lock (as illustrated by two-hearted) otherwise, I'll just leave the 'blow-off' on until I'm ready to bottle.

http://photobucket.isnt.working.now So I guess I can't post the video of my (New Glarus) IIPA clone in the carboy... :mad:

That's what I do too!

20140403_102754_zpsda391e57.jpg

I have the bung that allows for a 3/4" npt fitting that I built a 'blow-off' tube for initial fermentation. If I'm dry-hopping I'll switch over to the standard Better-Bottle bung, with the air-lock (as illustrated by two-hearted) otherwise, I'll just leave the 'blow-off' on until I'm ready to bottle.

http://photobucket.isnt.working.now So I guess I can't post the video of my (New Glarus) IIPA clone in the carboy... :mad:

Man that's nuts and awesome!

Got a 3 piece airlock? remove the two loose pieces(cap and floaty thingie), slide 1/2" tubing over airlock tube

Yup. I have 2 permanent blowoff tubes setup like this. Make sure to cut the plastic X off the bottom of the airlock. They can get clogged and create a blockage. Ask me how I know this :eek:

Thanks all for the replies! What I ended up doing was taking a #10 bung and drilling out the airlock hole to 1/2 inch on my press. I wallowed it out a bit and stuck some 5/8" od 1/2" id tubing I picked up at home depot in the new hole. Thinking it should work fine.

Thanks all for the replies! What I ended up doing was taking a #10 bung and drilling out the airlock hole to 1/2 inch on my press. I wallowed it out a bit and stuck some 5/8" od 1/2" id tubing I picked up at home depot in the new hole. Thinking it should work fine.

That's exactly what I did. Has never failed me

I bought a drilled #10 stopper and took it to the hardware. Found the tubing that would fit very snuggly in the hole and bought 4 feet of it. Shoved it into the stopper hole and I've been good to go for years!

glenn514:mug:

Back