Best soldering tool (iron, torch, etc.)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidD

Reaction score
There weren't any results I could find on here with people's best choice/recommendation for a soldering tool. What are most people using to solder? (mainly interested in soldering for stainless steel, but also any other brewing related projects, electronics, etc.)

It seems like most people are using a soldering iron, but I couldn't find any best options for specific models or brands? I know price range will run a wide spectrum -- but what do you use?

I've never soldered anything other than electronics, but it's my understanding that the small irons for electronics are not hot enough for stainless steel.
I also am pretty sure that sheet metal and electronics use different fluxes and you likely don't want to mix them. Personally, I'd get a cheap radio shack iron for electronics and a torch for sheet metals.

This is a loaded question. I use mapp gas torch for soldering SS, but for smaller projects I have a Weller Iron which I used for the BCS soldering stuff. Much easier to control and better suited for the smaller wire projects. It really depends on the projects you're planning on doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you really solder stainless steel ?
I thought it had to be welded with inert gasses !
What flux are you guys talking about ?

Thank you for all the responses, it helps. I will clarify and say I'm most interested in soldering stainless steel and fittings for a kettle, plumbing, etc.

I saw Lowes has a lot of options for a torch. Any specific ones you wold recommend or ones to avoid? Or minimum features/specs of one needed to solder fittings on SS?

Thank you for all the responses, it helps. I will clarify and say I'm most interested in soldering stainless steel and fittings for a kettle, plumbing, etc.

I saw Lowes has a lot of options for a torch. Any specific ones you wold recommend or ones to avoid? Or minimum features/specs of one needed to solder fittings on SS?

I use a torch, silver solder, and liquid flux.

Specifically:
-Bernzomatic JT539T Swirl Flame Brazing Torch (does propane and mapp)
-Silvabrite 100 solder
-Harris Stay-Clean Liquid flux

I use a propane appliance hose to connect the torch to my BBQ propane tank.

So when talking solder you are not talking normal tin and lead solder and about 220 C degrees, you are talking silver solder and about
600 degrees C and specific flux. ?????
This ain't normal DIY territory !

So when talking solder you are not talking normal tin and lead solder and about 220 C degrees, you are talking silver solder and about

I would disagree. Its not overly complicated... theres a sticky at the top of this page (here's the link) that shows soldering stainless steel and Bobby even has a video and kits on his site to do exactly this.

I believe it's actually just tin solder with some copper and/or silver (no lead). Otherwise, it's just solder. Heat it up and it melts. The flux is typically not manufactured in this type of solder so you have to supply your own.

The purpose of the torch is to make heating your part more efficient and quick. It's just a heat source replacement for the little pointy soldering iron typically used for electronics.

IIRC, the melting point of most silver solders is 400+°F which make it work very well for brewpots that are likely not going to exceed 220°F (unless empty of course).

It is very much DYI territory. It's a step-up in complexity and skill from electronics soldering, and a step down from welding.

We are talking about using silver bearing solder with 4-6% silver content that melts at about 430F. This is absolutely DIY territory in so much as sweating copper pipe is.

NO I'm not buying it yet , still convinced that there is something odd with soldering to stainless steel. Its funny stuff. There's more to soldering than floating wet metal into a void.

fartinmartin said:
NO I'm not buying it yet , still convinced that there is something odd with soldering to stainless steel. Its funny stuff. There's more to soldering than floating wet metal into a void.

Hey now, them's fightin words. Bobby shall not be disagreed with in this area :mug:

fartinmartin said:

You apparently haven't read through the hundreds of pages in the sticky. Homebrewers have been doing this for years.

All my vessels are now silver soldered. I have taken a hammer to the fittings and they don't budge. It is VERY strong.

It is all about the flux. You MUST use the correct liquid acid flux. The solder is slightly less important, but the Harris Stay-Brite (4% Ag) and Stay-Brite #8 (6% Ag) are outstanding. Just put a few loops of solder in the dimple and heat the fitting. Instant professional looking joint.

This is not out of the reach of the normal homebrewer but I commend your honesty in realizing it's out of your reach.

Now you've got to be trolling. If not, why are you so confident despite your ignorance on the topic?

Is there something you'd like to dispute about anything in those videos? Are you suggesting that my work will fall apart after one use? Wrong.

Wow some great work there, so Bobby can solder stainless steel !
I new nothing of that type of solder.

So I buy it, but it won't be in my DIY bag
Thanks for the eye opener

I appreciate all the helpful responses, thanks again. I ended up ordering the Bernzomatic JT539T Swirl Flame Brazing Torch, which stpug recommended.

And Bobby_M, thanks for the help and videos. I actually just placed my first order with you for a 3-piece ball valve, keg bulkhead, & BL kit for camlocks as I get going on my electric build. Thanks for all the great products and I've already heard so many great things about all you do.

Latest posts

Back