Aluminum screen in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDodge

Reaction score
Hi, I have a basket that came with my stainless steel pot I use as a mash tun. Ideally I'd like to line it with stainless steel mesh, but that gets spendy in a hurry. I could line it with cheese cloth or some BIAB material, but I think that would look crappy, and might be difficult to stir without tearing. Aluminum screen is pretty cheap, and I can hold it in place with aluminum wire. I know I'll have to stay away from bleach when cleaning (I would anyway), but are there other downsides? I read over John Palmer's how to brew with regards to aluminum, and other than the possibility of galvanic corrosion, it didn't sound like it would be a big deal. I'm probably only going to use the aluminum screen until I can afford stainless. Any thoughts? Thanks.

stay away from any acid based sanitizer such as Starsan. other than that, I cant see why it wouldnt work.

personally I would just use a BIAB.

If that were true then people brewing with al pots would see thier pots disappear

Smart folks using aluminum pots make sure to establish a solid oxide layer inside their kettles and then strive to never, ever breach it, because if they do, the ACIDIC WORT WILL EAT UP THEIR KETTLES.

Sheesh...

Smart folks using aluminum pots make sure to establish a solid oxide layer inside their kettles and then strive to never, ever breach it, because if they do, the ACIDIC WORT WILL EAT UP THEIR KETTLES.

Sheesh...

This doesn't square with what Palmer (a metallurgist) has to say about aluminum in How to Brew, appendix G, third edition. He indicates that aluminum alloys commonly used for cookware will not corrode at temperatures and pH (4 - 8.5) normally encountered in brewing. In the presence of dissimilar metals galvanic corrosion is a real concern, however. He does advise against scouring off the dull oxide layer but this is to prevent metallic off flavors, not to prevent the kettle from being eaten up by acid wort.

I'm probably only going to use the aluminum screen until I can afford stainless. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Stainless screen is not terribly expensive. Depending on how much you need, and the required shape it could be from $20 - $25 at Mcmaster Carr, can't link their items... Go to mcmaster.com and search 9241T42

I used 40x40 mesh (I think it's about 350 mesh) for my Hop Screen and my Mash Basket. The hop screen works great, and the Mash basket works pretty well, but I have trouble if I grind too fine. I will be making a new mash basket, and will probably go to 32x32, Mcmaster # 85385T82. I use the basket with a RIMS setup.

My mash basket has solid sides, and under 12" dia, so a 12x12 piece is enough to do that for under $5.00.

I'd avoid aluminum - it's not made to be food safe and some are coated (ie cheap window screen). Anodized might be OK. Bare aluminum screen at Mcmaster is more expensive than stainless too.

jleii, thanks for the tip from McMaster. For the size of basket I have, I'd need A 24" X24" pice for the bottom, and at least 12" x 60" for the sides (my basket is about 18" in diameter and 18" high). This would run about $45 from McMaster, not overwhelming, but a little higher than I want for now. I lined the basket with aluminum screen, and it wasn't very fun to clean. Grains got stuck in the mesh, and in between the screen and basket. I'm going to pull the aluminum screen out and try a BIAB bag next. I'm hoping that will be eaiser to clean, since you can pull the bag out and turn it inside ot to clean.

Latest posts

Back