Air space question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I know the answer is probably in the threads somewhere, but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am planning on starting to build a box around the freezer this weekend, but wanted to know, how much air space do I need to leave between the walls and the sides of the freezer?

The exterior walls vent heat out of the unit. If you cover with wood, a quarter to half inch of air space is probably fine, IF YOU USE A FAN to move air past the heated metal. Probably easiest to place it under the unit, drawing downward. Make slits/spaces high on the sides (hidden under molding/overhang) for the fan to pull from.

Hi

I would suggest that even with a fan, the gap needs to be at least an inch if not a couple of inches. The walls of the freezer get HOT as the thing pumps down. The more you restrict the air to the walls, the more years you take off of the life of the compressor.

Bob

There should be specifications on the unit somewhere, maybe near the compressor where it gives the power ratings and other information.

There should be specifications on the unit somewhere, maybe near the compressor where it gives the power ratings and other information.

Hi

The quick way to find the current draw is to pull the cover and read the label on the compressor. For a small freezer anything from 1 to 5 amps at 110 VAC is possible.

Regardless of weather it's 1 or 5, you still need the sides of the freezer to be in open air / moving air. Most manuals state 3" if it's still air.

Bob

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but what about if a keezer has a 3 wall box around it (back open)? Would it still need the same amount of space?

And if the frame is built with 2x4s as an example, so there wouldnt be as much wood touching the freezer, do you still need those inches between the wood?

Thanks

my thoughts exactly runt23. that is what i was planning on framing the box with, kinda like building a wall in a house with 2x4 studs. i think to play it safe, i will try to find a way to incorporate a couple of fans too, or at least put some vent slots in the bottom. i am going to try to photograph the steps for future builders.

The manufacturer recommended 2 or 3 inch gap is assuming that there is no obstruction at the top, the air is free to rise above the freezer. If you put a top over the freezer then 3" isn't enough without a fan. As carlisle_bob said, the more restrictions you have on air flow the lower the life of the freezer.

Back