The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Stone "Go To" IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Default Stone "Go To" IPA

Have to say I was really looking forward to this one. Reading the bottle sounds like a dream. But, all I get is an onion aroma and onion taste. Most that try it, say it's "different". It taste like an IPA I brewed a few years ago with some Summit hops that I picked up at the LHBS on a whim because of the insane 15+ AA%. So, don't use Summit anymore, nothing but green onion. Maybe it's something to do with living on the east coast. I've had several bottles of the Enjoy By from several different batches. All were awesome til the last release a few months ago. Onion again.... All the bottles were way in date. Oh well, my friends say they like it. It ain't' for me. To each his own. Having said that, anybody else try it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Friends have told me its pretty good. Not blown away but decent. It's still not on too many shelves in my area but I plan on trying to get a few soon.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've never gotten an oniony or summit hop flavor from Enjoy By...i may have to try it. Perhaps they used some summit hops in this release. I made a summit hop pale I really liked.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Falcon3
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's fun, but I much prefer Lagunitas Daytime for a session IPA

Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
judsonp
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

The Enjoy By 2.14? I'm on the east coast and didn't get any onion from that. (Likewise with the Enjoy By 4.20, but that came out a week ago, not a couple of months ago.)

Haven't tried the Go To. I'll be disappointed if I get onion out of it, as I dislike that flavor from Summit.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 704

I had Go To on tap last weekend and got no onion out of it. Actually, it smelled very strongly of Juicy Fruit gum. What hop causes that?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

No onion here either. Just had one last night. It was good. Very heavily dry hopped, not a lot of other flavors going on though.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
andyhank
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just had one of these and thought it was awesome. Hop bursted goodness with a simple but substantial grain bill. The taste was a ton of fresh melon, passionfruit with some citrus and floral notes. I'm actually thinking of trying to clone this one for my next brew, thinking it will be a good Spring and Summer brew. For hops I did a little research and am thinking hop burst mosaic, citra, el dorado, crystal, a little cascade, sterling and FWH magnum. Heavy dry hop as well. Anybody have an idea for grain? Maybe just 2 row and a touch of crystal 40 and carapils.

As a reference, I had Ballast Point Sculpin the other night and thought it was good, but Go To inspired me to want my own rendition (or at least cost effective "go to" brew").

Cheers

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

I had the Founders "session" IPA last weekend and enjoyed it. Likewise, had the Stone, and it's one of the few beers they make that I'm disappointed with. The hop flavor was there, but nothing else. A bit unbalanced, IMO.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
adamelb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That oniony hop flavor seems to be very palate specific. I find it and can't stand it in some IPA's, I mention it to other people I'm drinking with and they look at me like I'm crazy. Some beers I've found that flavor in suddenly, and then the next batch, it disappears. It's my opinion that the flavor may not be linked so much to varieties as it is to harvest. In that there are multiple varieties that exhibit that flavor to certain palettes, but not always depending on growing conditions and harvest time. Really just a personal theory as I have no expertise in anything besides enjoying beer. The latest beer that gave me that green onion sting was Hop Ranch from Victory. I tried other beers with the same hops and even brewed a Mosaic SMaSH and didn't pick up onion flavors in the slightest. I find it pleasing in small quantities but mostly offensive.

Things like this have led me to never really hate on a beer, and to completely disregard aggregate beer reviews.

Quick Reply