Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > left hand milk stout and brecken ridge vanilla porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
ibintinknockin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default left hand milk stout and brecken ridge vanilla porter

Ok so I go to buy some beer early in the day. Now I normally grab what I like to drink and occasionally try something new. Im usually pleased but today I tried both listed above and yuk! I know these are well liked beers but I just can't get around the sweetness factor.

I've read comparisons between Guinness draught and left hand milk stout and I think id rather a pint of Guinness any day of the week to either... maybe its just me..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1956

Guinness and Left Handed are not similar at all. Guinness is a dry stout, with a light body. Left Handed is a sweet stout, with a big, full mouthfeel and body.

For some info about the different styles of stout, take a look here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

For what its worth, I think Left Handed is a good example of the sweet stout style.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Both are excellent examples of their styles. They just don't happen to be in the same style as Guinness.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
ibintinknockin
Recipes 

I realize im probably in the minority ..... just seeing if anyone shared my opinion ... but I did like the milk stout better than the porter ... I like a stout with body, maybe if I sit on the rest of them the sweetness will mellow a bit.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
ibintinknockin
Recipes 

I polished off the vanilla porter by making half n halves with bass. I know its not swil so I refuse to dump it. Cutting it put the vanilla in the background where I like it but still very present.

Quick Reply