Fat Tire in cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
I just came across this at ProBrewer.com

"Fat Cans
Apr 11, 2008 - New Belgium Brewing has announced that it will be packaging and distributing its flagship Fat Tire Amber Ale in aluminum cans to limited markets this summer.

"Introducing cans was a natural choice given that they are outdoor-friendly, light for transport and readily recyclable," said Bryan Simpson, spokesperson for New Belgium. "In addition to the lighter carbon footprint, Fat Tire can now travel to places where glass is not an option."
Distributing cans will continue to help lessen New Belgium's footprint by saving fuel during transport to other states by lightening the weight of the trucks. New Belgium has begun this process by using biodiesel in its Ft. Collins distribution trucks and in the trucks used during the Tour de Fat traveling events.

The cans, which are 100% recyclable, will feature Fat Tire's original watercolor artwork."

Any comments?

Oskar Blues cans four of it's products and I have to say they are all very tasty. This will open up even more markets for New Belgium if it goes over well. They can now be served on airplanes and taken into certain recreational areas.

I'd like to see the whole operation go to cans, as well as everyone else's. I know we homebrewers need a supply of bottles, but we'll find a way to survive.

TL

TexLaw said:
I'd like to see the whole operation go to cans, as well as everyone else's. I know we homebrewers need a supply of bottles, but we'll find a way to survive.

TL

Now if someone can come up with a reusable aluminum can we are in business.

I'd love to see more craft beer in cans. In Oregon, stores only have to take back bottles that they sell, but all cans are good. I don't bottle & I hate hauling them around!

Anything that helps with shipping costs and gets decent beer a larger market share.

BigKahuna said:
Mtn Dew and Bud Comes in cool aluminum bottles....Why couldn't they make a resealable can?

Are the Mtn Dew cans resealable? If so I might have to get SWMBO a case or two of them :D

SuperiorBrew said:
Are the Mtn Dew cans resealable? If so I might have to get SWMBO a case or two of them :D
yup... with a bench capper. There is noting for a wing capper to hold on to. I got a case from the Local C-Store...They are expensive though. $2.00 Each full of pop. But compared to a Plastic bottle... the bottle is about $0.75

david_42 said:
I'd love to see more craft beer in cans. In Oregon, stores only have to take back bottles that they sell, but all cans are good. I don't bottle & I hate hauling them around!

+1

cans are such a superior serving vessel.

I've never had fat tire, but I just picked up some Old Chub from Oskar Blues and its GREAT! I'm allllllllllllll for cans thats for sure!

Sean

I am SOOOO happy to find that there is no stigma about cans with homebrewers.

I LOVE Dale's Pale Ale. It is probably THE beer most found in my fridge. Not every mom and pop liquor store in my area has it. I asked one owner why they didn't stock it. They told me that micro brew drinkers want their beer in a bottle. That cans were too "down market" for the price.

I think those owners are mising the boat. Having one of the top five craft breweries in the country package in cans is going to give a LOT of support for canned micro-brew. It is much cheaper for a brewery to package in cans. The up front costs for the cans and the storage are a bit much:eek:nly $16K for the filler and seamer but you have to buy a 150k cans, roughly $20,000.

Check out this site http://www.cask.com/main/index.php?page_id=39

View the video.

PearlJamNoCode said:
Wouldn't beer stored in cans pick up a metallic taste after a bit?

The cans are lined.

The company supplying many craft canners:
http://www.cask.com/main/index.php

BA thread w/ pro brewer comments (you have to belong to BA/sign up to read repies):
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1204619

Some of the advantages touted are lower oxygen pickup on filling, lower shipping costs compared to bottles, no light struck issues, ease of recycling, ease of transport by consumer, ect.

Keep in mind that Sly Fox Pikeland Pils won a gold medal at the last GABF...from a can.:mug:

PearlJamNoCode said:
Wouldn't beer stored in cans pick up a metallic taste after a bit?

Here is an exerpt from a post on ProBrewer.com:

" I've had a couple opportunities to tour the Ball plant that produces our cans and seen the production- each can is lined with a polymer that's baked on. Hi-speed photo sensors reject cans with any lining missing (or other problems, such as dents). Can ends are coated on both sides. It's absolutely amazing how you can muster up an "aluminum taste" if you know it's coming from a can!"

Latest posts

Back