label file format and ppi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I'm going to try to make some labels for my mead despite the fact that I know little (nothing really) about graphic design or graphics manipulation programs. I'll be using The GIMP. I barely understand it, so I'm sure it'll be a challenge.

For a label that is very clear and sharp when printed and that may include photographic elements, how many pixels per inch should I use. The labels will be about 3.25 x 4.25 inches in size, if that makes a difference.

Also, what is the best output format for the best possible printing? TIFF with no compression? I'll be printing labels on an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 ink jet printer.

Any other hints or tips for a graphically challenged label newb? Are there any primers for using GIMP to make beer and wine labels?

Are there any decent free vector based design programs? I've always used Illustrator or Corel Draw to do label type work. GIMP or Photoshop don't seem like the best tools for that kind of job.

EDIT: Just found Inkscape. Need to check it out.

Some tutorials here.

I'd use Inkscape if you can figure it out. With a vector based program, you don't need to worry about resolution until it is sent to a RIP (raster image processor), in this case, your printer.

A good rule of thumb when taking anything to print is that the effective resolution should be 2X the final LPI (lines per inch). Most people settle on 300 because most offset and high end flexo work is done at 150 lpi.

Back