Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > You're gunna kill me- "No Airlock Bubbling"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
BearsWickedBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default You're gunna kill me- "No Airlock Bubbling"

Let me preface by saying I've read Revvy's sermon about no airlock bubbling more than once. I've pitched about 14hours ago...and nothing. Im using a brewers best pale ale kit w/ muntons yeast. I used muntons for my other brew (this brew is my 2nd batch) and I didnt start immediatly w/ the tshirt wick trick...this time i did. So for next steps Im going to try and warm up the temp a bit because last time I had airlock bubbling in 7 hours.

When sanitizing...I used starsan...I used really hot water and I'm wondering if this warped (although this is not noticeable) the plastic so that I dont have a tight seal and CO2 is leaking out.

Maybe my yeast is dead (I know @ this point..i still need to give it more time)...like I said its Muntons Dry yeast...I rehydrated saw a couple bubbles in the process.

Just wondering if I should RDWHAHB or take off the lid at some point to inspect?

ooo...I did push down on the lid like 1hr ago...with a moderate push...a couple bubbles did come through. Could this happen even if there was no C02in the bucket?

...sorry for the long post...my internet connection is in & out. I wanted to take advantage while I had it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Well, you know what we're all going to say! Relax, and leave it alone for about 36 hours or so before you consider doing anything at all. Sometimes fermentation takes a while to start for various reasons. Just keep it at 65-68 degrees and walk away!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, even though you read Revvy's thing, you must have missed the one by Orfy about 6 slots above your post titled "fermantation can take 24 to 72 hours to start"

RDW... blah bah blah

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

14 hours is to soon to worry. Take Yoopers advice and keep the temp in range and things will turn out fine.

Gary

Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Ya..i figured as much. I guess I got spoiled by my first batch- when I saw bubbling at 7 hours.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

WHOA WHOA WHOA! GET THIS.....

I knew i filled my 3 pc airlock a weee bit too much..so I wanted to take a straw to take a lil sanitizer out of the airlock. I popped the top off the airlock...and BOOM....the little dome almost came flying out. The thing immedialtey started bubbling....I filled the airlock too high! It wouldnt bubble..because the dome of the airlock would hit the top (roof) of the airlock!!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some yeast will take off right away, while others take their time. As you gain experience, you'll worry less.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Guys..whenever I put the top on my 3pc airlock...it stops bubbling! Im using starsan in my airlock...and its so bubbled up (i'm less than half full in the airlock)..that it hits the top of the airlock...and it wont move. Can I add a little vodka?..will this stop bubbles maybe?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA! GET THIS.....

I knew i filled my 3 pc airlock a weee bit too much..so I wanted to take a straw to take a lil sanitizer out of the airlock. I popped the top off the airlock...and BOOM....the little dome almost came flying out. The thing immedialtey started bubbling....I filled the airlock too high! It wouldnt bubble..because the dome of the airlock would hit the top (roof) of the airlock!!
That shoudn't have mede a huge difference. If it's fine now, leave it, otherwise make sure there's nothing blocking the holes in the airlock lid.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
That shoudn't have mede a huge difference. If it's fine now, leave it, otherwise make sure there's nothing blocking the holes in the airlock lid.
..I wouldn't have thought so either. But it made the difference between no bubbling...and bubbling like crazy. I dont like starsan in the airlock....last time I used vodka. When the airlock bubbles once...the starsan forms like 3 bubbles..and then hits the top of the airlock..and it seems like it stops it from bubbling. I poured a little vodka on top..and that killed the starsan bubbles temporarily. If i left the top of the airlock off...I wouldnt have a problem..it becomes a steady bubbling machine w/ the top of the airlock off.

Short of the long: It seems like the starsan foaming action is jamming the airlock

Quick Reply