Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yikes...Mold (not a "is this infected" thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default Yikes...Mold (not a "is this infected" thread)

This is a first. I woke up this morning and there is a ton of mold growing on the outside of my fermenter. I have never had this happen. I am not about to open the lid to look inside (but assume it is fine). I am thinking about bleach bombing the outside of the thing. No downside to that, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

The bleach may slightly degrade the outer surface of the bucket, but it should be minimal. As far as downsides go, this is a pretty minor one.

Did you spill wort on the outside when filling? I might be slightly concerned that it is a moldy area where you keep your fermenters - more from a personal health point of view than beer health.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
The bleach may slightly degrade the outer surface of the bucket, but it should be minimal. As far as downsides go, this is a pretty minor one.

Did you spill wort on the outside when filling? I might be slightly concerned that it is a moldy area where you keep your fermenters - more from a personal health point of view than beer health.
It is inside a fermentation chamber in my finished basement. I have feremented several batches in the basement and have never seen mold before. But there does seem to be some wort spilled down the side of the bucket, which probably did not help matters.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Is this "fermentation chamber" a chest freezer? Those can sweat and get quite damp inside, but you can buy crystals that'll absorb moisture. Just put a small, open container of them in the freeze and it should help. Oh, also, wipe down the outside of the fermenter after filling it.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Is this "fermentation chamber" a chest freezer? Those can sweat and get quite damp inside, but you can buy crystals that'll absorb moisture. Just put a small, open container of them in the freeze and it should help. Oh, also, wipe down the outside of the fermenter after filling it.
Ferm chamber is an old kegerator.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 214

imho go ahead and bleach the hell outta everything.
it couldn't hurt to throw an open box of "arm & hammer" in your fermentor or an open box of salt.
-cheers

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps View Post
imho go ahead and bleach the hell outta everything.
it couldn't hurt to throw an open box of "arm & hammer" in your fermentor or an open box of salt.
-cheers

Bleached the outside of the bucket. Misted the top and the airlock with starsan. Made sure the airlock was properly filled with vodka. Bleached the inside of the chamber.

All I can do until it's time to dryhop and cold crash, I suppose.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
b-boy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I have a similar issue.

The other day I opened my fermentation chamber (an old freezer) and got hit with a moldy smell. There was a lot of moisture built up from a double batch I did about 3 weeks back. I'm amazed how much moisture a fermentation, let alone 2, generates. There was mold around the seal because of the moisture. It's happened before. It only happens during the summer. I usually just dry it out, clean with bleach spray, and leave it open to the air for a few days. I;ve never had it effect the beer.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

I doubt it matters much, but if I were you guys I would be diluting the bleach to 5:1 or even 10:1. Still strong enough to do the job, but it will cut way down on burning your eyes, nose and hands. Probably a little easier on the inside of the fridge as well.

And anytime the fridge is not in use, leave the door open. They seal pretty well and grow mold faster than Petri dishes if they aren't running.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
I doubt it matters much, but if I were you guys I would be diluting the bleach to 5:1 or even 10:1. Still strong enough to do the job, but it will cut way down on burning your eyes, nose and hands. Probably a little easier on the inside of the fridge as well.

And anytime the fridge is not in use, leave the door open. They seal pretty well and grow mold faster than Petri dishes if they aren't running.

Oh, certainly. I filled a bucket with water and put bleach into that. I'm sure I diluted more than 10:1. Enough that I could certainly smell it but not so it was going to be pure bleach.

From now on, I am going to swab the inside of the chamber with bleach water on brew day, at about the same time I'm starsan soaking my fermentation bucket.

Quick Reply