Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarks

Reaction score
My next brew session I am doing a high gravity Belgian dark ale. I use BeerSmith 2 for my software and it is calling for 493 billion yeast cells (Wyeast Trappist High Gravity #3787). I want to know if it is possible to get 493 cells from a 2L flask/stir plate?

My thinking is this. 200g DME to 2 litre water and one #3787 yeast package. Let sit for 24hrs on stir plate, decant and add another DME/water solution to top off to the 2 litre mark. Let it sit another 24 hrs on stir plate and then pitch.

Does this make sense? My problem is I only have one 2 litre flask and one yeast package and trying to make the best of it.

Cheers.

Check yeastcalc.com for making a step starter. It is actually quite easy to step a starter to get to the required amount of yeast. It can be time consuming. I make starters from just 5 ml of frozen yeast. It takes about a week.

Just to update. I created a 2 litre starter and let it sit on the stir plate for 24 hrs. At that point I took the flask off the stir plate and let it sit for approx 8 to allow the yeast to settle to the bottom of the flask, then decanted. I then added another 1 litre water/100g DME to the flask and put it back on the stir plate and all hell broke lose. Over flow big time. !LOL! I can't put the starter on the stir plate or it will continue to overflow. The yeast has gone mad. I'm not sure if I should just pitch the yeast now or let it sit (off the stir plate) overnight. Thoughts? FYI, I have 5.5 gal in the fermenter waiting for yeast.

I'm worried that I don't have the proper cell count if I pitched now.

Back