Yeast starter with Hopped LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
I'm cooking up a WLP001 starter today. My folks got me a mr beer ingredients kit for xmas last year, knowing that I brew (aren't they sweet?). Im looking at the can wondering why I can't use it for a starter, knowing I won't use it otherwise. My only concerns have to do with color, flavor and amount of water to use.

It is a Mr. Beer Octoberfest Vienna Lager can of hopped extract, I'm brewing a light SRM IPA (mostly crystal 15 and extra light LME with a little munich). How much do you think this will affect the color and flavor profile of an IPA with 4oz of hops in the boil? Also the can is 550g, 19.4 oz, what ratio should I use to make a starter?

I also have some DME that I bought for starters that I can use. but I figured I'd see what you guys have to say about the hopped stuff.

It would work fine. I don't know how much extract to tell you to use, but you want to shoot for a 1.040 starter wort. BeerSmith shows between .5 and .6 lbs of LME for a half gallon (roughly 2 liter) starter.

Generally, I believe that 1 lb of LME in 1 gal would be 1.036, so if you wanted to make a half-gallon starter (appx 2L) at 1.040, I'd use .45 lb (or round up to 1/2 lb) (36*1/1=40*x/.5). Use half of that for a 1L starter.

Thank you, that's very helpful. With all the starter threads on here its hard to sort through them to find the quick answers.

Back