Wyeast 3944 sulphur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollermt

Reaction score
I'm brewing an extract Wit using Wyeast 3944 and getting a fairly significant sulphur smell. It has been fermenting for about two weeks now at 68 degrees, and I just moved it upstairs to raise the temperature to 74. The temperature change hasn't effected the sulphur odor as far as I could tell. From other posts on this forum, I know that this yeast has the reputation to create this odor (and that it will fade), but I also suspect that I might have had some imperfect sanitation practices. I've only brewed three batches before this and none with this yeast, so I haven't ruled out that I might have been part of the problem.

Is there a way to tell the difference between a sulphur smell from bad bacteria in the wort and the sulphur smell from this yeast?

Wyeast says the temp range for that strain is 62-75*, so being towards the high end of that you may be getting some esters and phenols. Yeast says the strain produces spicy clove-like phenols and subtle esters. Could be kicking alot of these with warmer temps, and that could lead to a smelly fermentation

Thanks for the head's up. My understanding of esters and phenols was that they produce clove and banana flavors (respectively). Do they also produce sulphur smells, or would that be for another reason?

I want the ester aroma in this wit but not the phenols if possible. I've read that esters develop at low temps and phenols at high. That's why i kept it at a low temperature for a couple weeks before raising it up (which is in line with what Jamil's wit recipe instructed to do).

Have you HAD a witbier? They have sulfur. That poopy diaper-ness is a GOOD thing.

Have you HAD a witbier? They have sulfur. That poopy diaper-ness is a GOOD thing.

Yep! And banana and clove.

I'm guessin the production of those flavors could be down right stank. Think of how they come across strong in some hefes, then think of those aromas and flavors in a warm, active fermentor.
Think I'll grab me a Franziskaner when I grab beer tonight!! :ban:

Thanks for reassurance. I suppose that even though there are some other posts on the forum about sulphur smells during fermentation, I didn't want to give myself too much credit. I haven't screwed up a batch yet, but I won't be surprised if I have a few blunders early on. The reference books i have say sulphur smell, when inappropriate to the style, is caused from improper sanitation. I guess I'm trusting the style at this point!

People on the forum seem pretty confident most of the time, but the books I have make brewing sound like something that's very easy to screw up. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Just an update: I bottled the beer yesterday after fermentation was done. The esters and phenols are a bit stronger than I wanted, making this smell like something half way between a wit and a weizen. The sulphur smell definitely faded into the right balance with the other aromas. Overall, I'm feeling like this is going to be a pretty successful first attempt at the witbier.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support.

Back