Worst Beer I Have Ever Tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangre

Reaction score
OK, so that might be an exaggeration, but what I have made is soooo bad. I am a scrub of a brewer having made only 3 batches, 1st IPA gone, 2nd IPA bottled on the 12th and a Red Ale brewed on the 12th in carboy now.

Sorry, my manners are as bad as the ale I made. Hello my name is Sangre, I am new, I am very pleased to be here and meet you all.

So....

These have been kits and this is the recipe I followed....

India Pale Ale Kit

7 lbs light unhopped malt extract

2 lb 2-row malted barley

1/2 lb cara-pils malted barley

1/2 lb medium crystal malted barley

1 cup light brown sugar

1 oz Chinook hops (bittering)

1 oz Chinook hops (flavoring)

1/2 oz Kent Golding hops (finishing)

1/2 oz Kent Golding hops (fermenting)

1 pkg water crystals

1 pkg Nottingham ale yeast

1/2 cup light brown sugar (priming for bottling)

1. Bring 2 – 3 gallons of water to boil in the cooking pot

2. Add the water crystals and grains - Water crystals are used to add minerals to filtered water. They are not needed with standard tap water.

3. Add the bittering hops

4. Boil for 20 minutes - Prepare your extract by setting the bucket or package in hot water to warm the extract and make it easier to poor.

5. Remove pot from heat, remove grain bag and stir vigorously while adding the extract - Note: stirring prevents the extract from dropping to the bottom and burning

6. Add sugar and return pot to heat - Boil for 10 minutes

7. Add the flavoring hops - Boil for 10 minutes

8. Remove from heat - Add the finishing hops

9. Cool the wort in a water filled sink

10. Siphon or strain the wort into the fermenting vessel

11. Fill the fermenter to five gallons with water add fermenting hops.

12. Note: If you plan to bottle your beer you may want to measure and record the specific gravity of the wort using a hydrometer. This can be useful in determining the end of the fermentation process and prevent the bottles from breaking during the carbonation step.

13. Follow the directions on the back of your yeast packet before adding to the wort.

Now I don't know what the gravities have been on account of that the darn hydrometer fell and broke. :ban:

But how off can I be from OG 1.063 to FG 1.014? :confused:

My first batch did not boil correctly. I just went by the times listed in the recipe. The color was light and it had a bitter sour taste with horrid after taste like old moldy water. No where near the hoppy goodness of my fav. IPAi.

My second batch which I just tasted today (that is 16 days in bottles) has a great color but tastes the same. :mad:

I used Ozarka spring water in all the batches. Cooled in ice bath bringing the temp down to 65ish before pitching yeast. All three have fermented great at around 72 degrees. I let the fist two ferment and stay in the carboy 4 weeks, I let my first bach sit in bottles 4 weeks.

What gives? !!!!!!!!

Are you boiling your grains? If so, you're probably tasting an astringent beer. It looks like your instructions left out the fact you should keep your grains down to around 150 F, then boil the extract and hops.

oh, well that might be it then. The grains smelled so good too. Then dish water. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back