Wine bottles for small recipe variations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerest

Reaction score
I want to test making slightly different variations on a few recipes. I want a dozen or so cheap, smallish containers to do this with. I'm considering wine bottles for this purpose.

Does anyone know of a pressure relief valve that is intended to fit a wine bottle? I need to make sure that these don't overpressurize and go "boom".

Are you talking about using wine bottles as little fermenters?

You could always use small balloons, the fingers of surgical gloves or condoms with pinholes on them as "airlocks."

Wine bottles take a #2 rubber bung and then can be fitted with an airlock. Rev's suggestion has a short term (possibly long term) cost advantage depending on the relative cost of thebung and the balloon. I'm guessing like 1-5 cents/ balloon and lik 50 cents for the bung.

LOL! Condoms with pin holes in them!

I have used balloons and they work just fine. Condoms would be too expensive and get the curiosity of the wife.

Just get a drilled stopper that fits the bottles. They're cheap and you use the same kind of airlocks as you do for a big fermenter.

Back