Will any sugar work for priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
I should be bottiling my first batch within the next week and a half and I sure there is a most reccomended sugar to use, but i was wondering if simple sugar from walmart would do? For example: Domino Pure Cane Granulated Sugar.

I have never used anything besides dextrose just because I can buy it measured into what I need for a 5 gal batch but. Have heard you can bottle with table sugar.

Yes go to Northern Brewer .com they have a priming sugar calculator and it gives you the options of various sugars and weights required.

Just curious because I went to store recently and didn't see any dextrose. However, I am planning to head to my lhbs in two days and I have no doubt he will have some. I was just wondering if there would be any huge conflicts with using table sugar.

Yea, regular cane sugar will work, but will definitely affect the flavor of your beer. I recommend something from a LHBS.

Regular cane sugar works fine (as noted above you should use a calculator and scale to use the correct amount for the carbonation level you're after). I've brewed the same recipe using first corn and then cane sugar for priming and noticed absolutely no change in flavor. I fully accept that others may have different experiences based on more scientific methods (which would require doing a split batch, something I've never tried).

If you're curious about the difference (or lack of difference) b/w priming with cane and corn sugars do a quick search on this site, there are tons of threads discussing it. My conclusion after reading a bunch of them last year was that most people find there's no difference. Because corn sugar costs so much more and is harder to get I switched over and have been happily using cane sugar from the grocery store ever since!

(EDIT: here's another thread that popped up earlier today on the same topic, with a couple of veteran brewers weighing in: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ha...erienced-problems-priming-table-sugar-402334/)

I used regular cane sugar a few times and didn't notice off flavors. I used 2 tsps per bottle. I use dextrose now.

If using table sugar, just make sure it's 100% cane sugar.

I typically use corn sugar just because I end up with a bunch from what they provide in some batch kits. When I keg, I don't use any of it. I dump it all in a tupperware and weigh out what's needed based on the batch priming calc.

I've used table sugar,dextrose (corn sugar) & demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) equally well. But I use a priming calculator to find how much of which kind to use per style/amount of co2 by volume; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
Funny how the grocery store has so many types of sugar,but dextrose isn't one of them. I have to go to the lhbs to get it. I get a 2.5lb bag that lasts a while. But they have up to 20lb bags that I've seen so far.

DrSnake said:
Yea, regular cane sugar will work, but will definitely affect the flavor of your beer. I recommend something from a LHBS.

False. Regular sugar is fine, I and many others extensively use it. Buying corn sugar from your LHBS is just a way to make a few extra bucks on the customer.

Back