The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why the insistencies? WHY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #31
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I get what y'all are sayin. I'm just gettin the feeling we've been here before,revvs. But my batches have sometimes been that way. Time how well the priming solution mixes,etc. I'll shut up now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #32
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– “A Wicked Beverage,” New York Times, April 10, 1894

I had this same problem until I started stirring my beer.

Me too!

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #33
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
May I add that my personal experience says that the beer is typically carbed and ready to drink after three weeks... but often is longer before it truly hits its stride.

My advice to the OP? Wait a couple weeks longer than you have been waiting before you drink any beer. See if you don't get improvement.
This right here ^

I started giving the majority of my beers 4 weeks 'til time for the fridge and a week in there before it's time.
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #34
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech49 View Post
I had this same problem until I started stirring my beer. Once the beer is in the bottling bucket with the sugar in it, stir very slowly, making sure not to aerate it. This made my batches more consistent. Just be sure not to stir it too hard. Hope this helps you with your next batch.
That helped me out greatly when I was first starting out. Revvy is correct on letting your bottles sit a few weeks before serving, too. It's hard to wait that long when your first starting out, I know. But it's worth it when ALL of your bottles taste good.

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Shooter and I seem to be the only people getting this.
Wow, this is the first time I've ever been accused of getting anything...sort of a banner moment for me!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I got what you guys were saying,I'm not that dense. But I understand where the op is comng from,& was trying to think of a good way to say it. Ambient air temp would effect the bottles in a mass storage device differently, to a small extent,from the outer perimeter to the center of the storage medium. I figured it also depends on how well the priming solution really mixes. Not how well it's imagined too. There are no absolutes other than the vodka.

Quick Reply