Who has "used" plastic water jugs for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
This isn't for a what is better thread. This isn't a request for "is it dangerous".

All I can find is why using plastic is bad, higher chance of oxygen permeability and get glass yada yada yada. Unfortunately the only people who seem to be pro plastic are using it almost exclusively for primary and getting it out ASAP.

I want to know your personal experience on using a plastic secondary.

1. How long did you secondary it for?
2. What did you secondary? Light, Dark, Wine, Mead etc.
3. What type of plastic and/or product? Ex. Better Bottle or I used a #7.
4. At what temperature did you keep it at?
5. Did you use a carboy cap, a solid stopper or a drilled stopper?
Now for the most important question.
6. How did it taste at bottling/kegging? How did it taste after carbing? After aging? Did it store for this as long as others in glass?

peach wine, fermented and secondaried in 5 gallon plastic water bottles several months. no ill effect that my untrained pallet could detect.

1. None longer than a month
2. light/medium ales
3. #7 5 gallon water bottle
4. between 60 and 70 depending on the months - winter months closer to 60, warmer months closer to 70
5. drilled stopper
6. I haven't secondaried in anything other than this - otherwise I've had longer primaries in my pale ales and thats it. I've not noticed any differences from using the plastic secondary. The longest beer that I've had bottled after this and tasted to date was bottled in mid-february and consumed last week, so 6 months.

Made many a batches of "farm wine" in them, primary and secondary. Also used to secondary my last batch of beer. I can tell no ill effects, but then, I'm no pro. Used a 5 gal "office" water bottle - have them in abundance. Plan to try fermenting a 4 gal batch of stout in one starting next week.

have done plenty of secondaries in #2 plastic water bottles. stouts,brown ales, IPAs. have used the caps and stoppers. NEVER had an issue.

**Absopure uses a #2 bottle**

I tasted a brown ale that a fellow brewer had fermented in a #7 water jug, and I could taste a hint of plastic. I'm super sensitive to the VOC's from outgassing plastics though, and only one other person out of ~12 could taste it. I had to buy tygon line for my kegerator because beer tastes like rubber bands to me out of standard beer line. I don't know the specifics of how long or what temp he fermented at, but I believe it was a long primary with no secondary. Since #7 means "other plastic", who knows what type of plastic his jug was made of.

I've used PETE (#1) water jugs and HDPE (#2) buckets for primary fermentations up to 6 weeks long without issue, but I've never used plastic for a secondary.

Latest posts

Back