White Labs Gusher, Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just brewed my first 5 gallon IPA tonight and the first time using liquid yeast. When I opened the vial of white labs liquid yeast (007), it gushed quite a bit. Pitched everything left in the vial but now I'm getting nervous. The original Gravity was 1.0585. Should I be worried? I have 2 packets of dry yeast from a Mr. Beer kit. Should I throw one of those in now (it has been about 2 hours since I sealed up the fermenter) or should I get more yeast at my LHBS tomorrow and re pitch? Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, they do that some time. You've got to open slowly, especially if the vial is a touch on t he old side.

How much of it did you end up losing?

Same thing happened to me give it about 6 to 8 hrs if you aren't seeing anything by then I'd say it's time for plan b. mine turned out fine though hope you have the same luck.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks.
I lost about 1/4 of the vial. Also, I'm a little intimidated by yeast starters. The white labs website made it seem like you don't need one if you're under 1.060.
I'll keep an eye on things. If it starts fermenting, does that mean I'm alright?

Wow, that was fast. Thanks.
I lost about 1/4 of the vial. Also, I'm a little intimidated by yeast starters. The white labs website made it seem like you don't need one if you're under 1.060.
I'll keep an eye on things. If it starts fermenting, does that mean I'm alright?

At 1/4 you are probably OK.
Yeast starters are easy and will make your good beer better.
You don't need a starter under 1.060 unless it is a lager. But again your good beer could be better.
Wait at least 2 days to 72 hours before getting panicky. I but it will go off in 12-24 hours.

Added: Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on starters. There are YouTube videos on making starters. Also check out DIY stirplates.

Thanks for all the advice. I do tend to get panicky. Ha. My first few brews seem to be cautionary tales. I guess this is a good reason to enter the world of yeast starters. I'll try to relax and see what happens with this one. Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back